Lucern trip to Mt. Pilatus using Swiss Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2016 at 7:34:05 #809222

Hello there, I’m be going to Lucern on June 2016 and planning to go to Mt Pilatus. Would it be possible to use the swiss pass all throughout the trip with discounted rates? I’m planning to go there just like a walk-in without any reservation. Like from Lucern to Alpnachstad by boat then by cogwheel to Pilatus then going down Kriens then back to Lucern. Or is it econimical if i just purchased the Pilatus Excursion? Anyone have idea how much would it cost entire day trip just using swiss pass? Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 May 2016 at 8:57:51 #852147

Welcome to MySwissalps koyrose!

A Swiss Pass is for Swiss citizens only, but with a Swiss Travel Pass you can do it exactly like you intended. Please see here for what’s included and discounted: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ validity.

A link to all the prices can be found on our Pilatus page. In your case the additional costs are CHF 36. If you prefer a guided excursion you can find that option on the Pilatus page (here) as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2016 at 5:05:39 #852148

Hello Arno,

Thank you for the reply. I have another question, would it be possible to for us to go on a day trip from Lucern to Jungfraujoch? how many hours for us before we reach the top? what time would you suggest for us to leave Lucern and our Swiss travel pass should also have discounts on trains right? If your were to ask personally between Mt. Pilatus and Jungfraujoch, which one will you choose? both of this mountains have snow on June?we will be there second week of June. I’m browsing the forum but could not find this topic maybe I missed it.

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 May 2016 at 7:27:30 #852149

Hi koyrose,

It takes close to 4.5 hours to reach Jungfraujoch from Lucerne. So it’s a very long day trip and you really have no other option than leaving pretty early. The timetable provides all options. The Swiss Travel Pass includes all trains until Wengen/Grindelwald, and a 25% discount from there. The first link in my previous post gives you all the details.

I prefer Jungfraujoch over Pilatus, but that’s without taking the point of departure into account. When staying in Lucerne, a visit to Pilatus makes more sense, and there are plenty of other options as well. Pilatus will not have snow in June. Well, a bit as an exception is possible, but not likely. Mount Titlis is a good option as well. There will be snow there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2016 at 7:38:13 #852150

Hello Arno,

Great advice there! Now I’m no longer confused on which mountain to go. We will just to Mt. Titlis on the first day and Mt. Pilatus on the second day. I hope I can post our pictures here once we get there! Thanks alot! Cheers!

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 May 2016 at 8:39:14 #852151

Please do! A trip report, and pictures, are very welcome in the Trip reports forum.

• The thread ‘Lucern trip to Mt. Pilatus using Swiss Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.