Lucern trip to Mt. Pilatus using Swiss Pass

Lucern trip to Mt. Pilatus using Swiss Pass

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
koyrose
koyrose
3 posts
May 17, 2016 - 7:34 AM

Hello there, I'm be going to Lucern on June 2016 and planning to go to Mt Pilatus. Would it be possible to use the swiss pass all throughout the trip with discounted rates? I'm planning to go there just like a walk-in without any reservation. Like from Lucern to Alpnachstad by boat then by cogwheel to Pilatus then going down Kriens then back to Lucern. Or is it econimical if i just purchased the Pilatus Excursion? Anyone have idea how much would it cost entire day trip just using swiss pass? Thanks

Arno
Arno
7707 posts
expert &
May 17, 2016 - 8:57 AM

Welcome to MySwissalps koyrose!

A Swiss Pass is for Swiss citizens only, but with a Swiss Travel Pass you can do it exactly like you intended. Please see here for what's included and discounted: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ validity.

A link to all the prices can be found on our Pilatus page. In your case the additional costs are CHF 36. If you prefer a guided excursion you can find that option on the Pilatus page (here) as well.

koyrose
koyrose
3 posts
May 18, 2016 - 5:05 AM in reply to Arno

Hello Arno,

Thank you for the reply. I have another question, would it be possible to for us to go on a day trip from Lucern to Jungfraujoch? how many hours for us before we reach the top? what time would you suggest for us to leave Lucern and our Swiss travel pass should also have discounts on trains right? If your were to ask personally between Mt. Pilatus and Jungfraujoch, which one will you choose? both of this mountains have snow on June?we will be there second week of June. I'm browsing the forum but could not find this topic maybe I missed it.

Arno
Arno
7707 posts
expert &
May 18, 2016 - 7:27 AM

Hi koyrose,

It takes close to 4.5 hours to reach Jungfraujoch from Lucerne. So it's a very long day trip and you really have no other option than leaving pretty early. The timetable provides all options. The Swiss Travel Pass includes all trains until Wengen/Grindelwald, and a 25% discount from there. The first link in my previous post gives you all the details.

I prefer Jungfraujoch over Pilatus, but that's without taking the point of departure into account. When staying in Lucerne, a visit to Pilatus makes more sense, and there are plenty of other options as well. Pilatus will not have snow in June. Well, a bit as an exception is possible, but not likely. Mount Titlis is a good option as well. There will be snow there.

koyrose
koyrose
3 posts
May 18, 2016 - 7:38 AM in reply to Arno

Hello Arno,

Great advice there! Now I'm no longer confused on which mountain to go. We will just to Mt. Titlis on the first day and Mt. Pilatus on the second day. I hope I can post our pictures here once we get there! Thanks alot! Cheers!

Arno
Arno
7707 posts
expert &
May 18, 2016 - 8:39 AM in reply to koyrose

Please do! A trip report, and pictures, are very welcome in the Trip reports forum.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016