Lucerne and Interlaken – 4 days – which pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2016 at 9:45:32 #809556

Hi All,

Need some clarity and help on my itenary.

I arrive at Geneva airport on July 6th and plan to go directly to Lucernce. Willreach Geneva at around 2PM, hoping to reach Lucerne by evening. Can I do anything on this day in and around Lucerne?

Day 2: Mt. Titlis / Pilatus and Lake Lucerne – which of these can be covered from Lucerne in a day. What’s our best option

Day 3: Leave in the morning for Interlaken – can I take the Golden Pass route from Lucerne. On the same day, can I cover Jungfrau or is there anything else that we can cover and do Jungfrau the next day.

Day 4: If there’s limited time to cover Jungfrau on the previous day, we can do it on this day.

Please provide some guidance on how to best manage the itenary and if there’s something else that we could add in the time we have.

Rail pass – considering the amount of travel, is it advisable to get the swiss rail pass. I didn’t see a 5 day pass, we’ll need it from 6th (Geneva to Lucerne) to 10th (Interlaken to Geneva).

If I buy a 4 day pass on July 6th at 3 PM, will it be valid until July 10th 3PM or does it expire before that?

Will appreciate your guidance on these questions. Thanks for the help team, you guys are doing a great job helping travelers!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    28 June 2016 at 11:23:14 #853562

Hi Prashant,

Day 1: Museums and shops will mostly be closed in the evening in Lucerne, but you can have a stroll in the town center, and there are a few boat trips available in the early evening (see myswissalps.com/ boatlakelucerne and check the link to the timetable).

Day 2: If you really push it you can visit two mountains in one day. It’s not my preference, but if you don’t mind an early start and brief visits it can be done:

Day 3: it takes the entire day to visit Jungfraujoch from Lucerne. You can possibly squeeze in a boat trip from Interlaken to Brienz (instead of the train ride). Be sure to check the timetable.

Other things to do are listed here: myswissalps.com/ lucerne/activities.

A Swiss Travel Pass is indeed a good idea. The only other option would be the Swiss Half Fare Card. Interlaken – Geneva is slightly cheaper than Geneva – Lucerne, so if you prefer the Swiss Travel Pass, it makes sense to use it for Geneva – Lucerne. But it depends on your other plans for the first and last day. Whichever pass you choose, be sure to print it at home. Buying it at the airport takes anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes (depending on how busy it is and how many passes you need), and that might cause you to reach Lucerne 30 to 60 minutes later. Simply print it at home so you’ll be ready to board the train. You can visit http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass (no delivery fees), so you can print it at home. It takes 1-3 business days to process and e-mail orders, so you would need to order within the next few days.

Passes are valid for full days, so it does not matter by what time you start using it. Details are here: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ howtouse.

I hope this was useful for you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2016 at 11:42:34 #853563

Thanks Arno.

Day 2: I meant 1 of the 2 mountains and Lake Lucerne. If we plan 1 mountain, which one would you suggest.

Day 3: We will be staying in Interlaken for 2 nights. If we get there mid-morning, what’s the best we can do.Would like to plan this one properly

Day 4: We’ll head to Jungfraujoch from Interlaken in the morning. Depending on what time we get back, we’ll plan something for the evening

Arno
    15483 posts
    28 June 2016 at 11:52:33 #853564

Hi Prashant,

Day 2: both are very different but equally good. For a lake view, go to Pilatus. For snow, visit Titlis. The pages I gave you provide all details and pictures, so you can see what appeals to you most. A Pilatus visit can easily be combined with a boat trip.

Day 3: please see myswissalps.com/ interlaken/activities for the options. You can consider to get off the train in Brienz and take the boat to Interlaken. Another option is a ride up to Schynige Platte from Wilderswil (5 minutes by train from Interlaken). Both are free with a Swiss Travel Pass.

Day 4: there won’t be much to do or see in Interlaken in the evening. Depending on the time, some shops might be open, and very early in the evening you can still reach Harder Kulm. A boat ride on Lake Thun or Lake Brienz might be possible.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2016 at 12:09:07 #853565

Thanks again.

Anywhere in this, do you think there’s time to squeeze in Rhine falls?

Arno
    15483 posts
    28 June 2016 at 18:15:10 #853566

You’re welcome! I don’t see a way to include the Rhine Falls. I’d recommend to focus on activities near Lucerne and Interlaken. People spend weeks in each of these areas, so you won’t run out of options.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2016 at 6:59:37 #853567

Thanks Arno for all the guidance.

Here’s our final itenary. Any changes needed / comments?

Day 1: Geneva to Lucerne

Day 2: Golden Round Trip – Pilatus

Day 3: Golden Pass rail and sightseeing, Is it worth going all the way to Montreux just for sightseeing. Can we add something else on this day?

Stay the night in Interlaken

Day 4: Interlaken to Jungfrau. If time permits, would like to visit any place nearby. Any suggestions?

Day 5: Need to leave from Interlaken for Geneva airport by 3PM. Any suggestions for the morning?

Rail Pass – Guess the best option would be a 8 day pass.

Arno
    15483 posts
    29 June 2016 at 7:39:34 #853568

Hi Prashant,

I would try to include the Golden Pass line from Interlaken to Montreux on day 5 while traveling to Geneva. That way you have day 3 some something else. You will see the Lucerne to Interlaken leg while traveling to Interlaken on day 3.

I wondered if you checked the Interlaken activity page I referred to? That’s the best place to find anything else to do. I would recommend a short hike before or after Jungfraujoch. E.g. Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. This one and many other are listed on that page.

The 8-day pass will work fine. Mind to order in time as explained before.

You will see lots of wonderful scenery on this trip if the weather cooperates!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2016 at 8:56:52 #853569

Thanks Arno. Yes, I went through the link for Interlaken activities in detail.

Will try to do Jungfrau on Day 3 (Lucerne – Jungfrau – Interlaken) or Day 4 depending on weather.

To confirm, do you think the half fare card will be better, considering we need a 8 day pass but will use it only for 5 days.

Thanks

Arno
    15483 posts
    29 June 2016 at 9:09:15 #853570

Hi Prashant,

My best guess is that the Swiss Half Fare Card will be cheaper in your case, but you’ll have to do the math to be sure. The Swiss Travel Pass is more convenient as everything except mountain trips is included, so less tickets to buy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2016 at 6:40:30 #853571

Arno / team, we had a great trip.

Thanks a ton for all the help.

Arno
    15483 posts
    20 July 2016 at 10:39:49 #853572

Great to hear that, and thanks for letting us know!

• The thread ‘Lucerne and Interlaken – 4 days – which pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.