Lucerne from Rome

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2013 at 10:37:54 #805860

Hello Travel Gurus,
    I have 2 holidays during my business trip 29th and 30th March.
    I want to use my 2 days to visit Lucerne from Rome.
    I wanted to confirm the best rail route to visit this place.I would prefer the chepest option so that I dont have to shell out more.
    Also in this route, Will the train pass through the Swiss Alps.
    I am very excited to visit Swiss alps and want best views at a less price.
    Do you all have a suggestion for this

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    14 March 2013 at 12:40:39 #838255

Hello deepakkrssit,

The cheapest way would be to just purchase a regular ticket for the quickest route to Lucerne. Apart from some tunnels, you’ll see the Alps while traveling that route. The regular price from the Swiss border (Chiasso) to Lucerne and back is CHF 124. There are better routes with better views however, and perhaps you would also like to visit a mountain top while you’re there. That would make a rail pass worth looking into. The Swiss Half Fare Card and the 3-day Swiss Flexi Pass could be options if you want to do and see more than just the return trip. The latter also includes trips up the Rigi mountain near Lucerne for free, and boats from Lucerne as well. Follow the links for prices, a downloadable map, and further information.

A great route would be this:
    Rome – Milan – Tirano, then the Bernina Express (or a regular train) to Chur. Then Chur – Lucerne. The next day travel from Lucerne to Interlaken via Meiringen. Then to Spiez, and next take the local train via Kandersteg to Brig. From Brig back to Italy. Now you have more Alpine views than you can imagine 🙂 The timetable helps you to see if this fits your timeframe.

Hotels near the Lucerne rail station (and the old town) can be found here.

Does this help?

• The thread ‘Lucerne from Rome’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.