Lucerne or Zurich ?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2012 at 1:08:39 #805170

This forum is really very helpful. It prepares the tourist for all Swiss needs before reaching there.
    I have already planned to visit Geneva city, Zermatt with Paradise Glacier and Laussanne/Vevey.
    I have one day free under the 2for1 Swiss Pass during my stay at Leysin. I am in a dilemma to decide about one day return tour from Leysin either to Lucerne or Zurich. Travelling for 8 hours in a day do not trouble me.
    Kindly advise me the choice between Lucerne or Zurich for a day.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    25 April 2012 at 9:38:03 #835797

Hi jogijsr. There isn’t that much difference between both in traveling time. Personally I’d prefer Lucerne because of its scenic location. You may manage to make a boat trip or visit the Pilatus.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2012 at 5:34:00 #835798

Thanks Annan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2012 at 5:47:08 #835799

Thanks Annika,
    In case I decide to go for visit from Lucerne to Mt. Pilatus,
    1) How much time, it takes to reach Mt. Pilatus via Archnastad and cog rail one way and
    2) whether this cog rail travel is covered free for the Swiss Flexi card or the discount (how much) is available?
    Kindly advise

Arno
    15471 posts
    28 April 2012 at 11:51:58 #835800

Hi jogijsr,

1) That would take 60-90 minutes assuming you’ll travel to Alpnachstad by boat. The timetable can be found here.
    2) I’m not sure which pass you mean, but most passes grant a 50% discount. Please visit the appropriate pass page and download the network map to verify.

Have fun up there!

• The thread ‘Lucerne or Zurich ?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.