Lucerne to Jungfrau, Titlis; half fare card activn

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 August 2013 at 1:18:49 #806131

Hi Team,

Apologies for the long mail at the outset 🙂

I have a few questions and would be grateful if you could help.

1) I will be staying in Lucerne and want to visit Jungfraujoch. I wish to know the route by train (I have the half fare card) as well as options of purchasing the tickets online ( printable e tickets if possible since I do not have much time for the courier delivery) or if I can purchase them in lucerne itself somewhere. Also, can i get a ticket which I can use from Lucerne directly to Jungfraujoch via whichever route. Is it just a rail ticket to Jungfrau or is there some entry pass too that one needs to show after reaching there ?

2) Same question for Mt Titlis too

3) Any other peaks or scenic places you recommend that are worth a visit there. I have 4 nights with me.

4) I will be coming from Salzburg on rail. I have the Austria pass too and was wondering if I would need to activate my swiss half fare card too for using the discounted rail ticket from Salzburg to Zurich. If yes, then can I do it in Salzburg station too ?

Thanks
    Sam

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    3 August 2013 at 13:09:07 #839113

Hello Sam!

1) You can best travel to Interlaken via the Brünig Pass and Meiringen: that’s a great scenic route. From Interlaken, you can head for the Jungfraujoch. Please enter your trip in the timetable for details on all available connections and routes. You better not purchase your Jungfraujoch tickets in advance, as the trip is highly weather dependent. Buying on the spot shortly before taking off is a better option. You will be able to do so at the Lucerne railway station upon showing your Swiss Half Fare Card. You’ll have to specify the route in advance. From Interlaken, it’s nice to make a round trip, getting up via Lauterbrunnen/Wengen and down via Grindelwald.

2) The trip goes via Engelberg. The timetable will give further details (enter ‘Kleintitlis’ as your destination).

3) Suggestions are a boat trip over the lake, a visit to viewing points Pilatus and/or Rigi and (in bad weather) the Traffic Museum or Glacier Garden.

4) You do need a valid Swiss Half Fare Card in order to get a discounted ticket from the Swiss border to Zurich. I assume that the leg from Salzburg to the Swiss border is for free, if you have a valid Austria Pass. In most cases you can easily activate the Swiss Half Fare Card yourself by simply writing down the first date you need it, or it’s already activated with the first travel date printed on it. If you let me know your country of residence, I can provide a direct purchase link

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2013 at 2:41:03 #839114

Hi Annika,

Many thanks for clearing that up 🙂

When you mentioned about the direct purchase link, were you referring to the Swiss Half Fare Card ? I have purchased both austria pass as well as the half fare card. I am based in Mumbai, India.

Thanks much
    Sam

Annika
    7121 posts
    6 August 2013 at 3:51:58 #839115

Hi Sam. I would have provided links for both passes, but since you already have them that’s not necessary. Enjoy your traveling!

• The thread ‘Lucerne to Jungfrau, Titlis; half fare card activn’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.