Lucerne to Jungfraujoch

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2010 at 22:59:28 #805037

Hi everyone,

How is the rail trip from Lucerne to Jungfraujoch in mid-november? Is the scenery especially worthwhile?

Also, what is the cheapest way to travel from Lucerne to Jungfraujoch? I am travelling with a family of 6. 1 elderly, 2 children.

Are there tour guides avaible in Jungfraujoch? I am also planning to shop in interlaken, is that advisable?

Thx,
    Anthony

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2010 at 10:26:18 #835207

ya.. you can shop in interlaken west is very nice..

Annika
    7104 posts
    10 November 2010 at 13:56:05 #835208

Hello ccefm, and welcome to our forum! The trip from Lucerne to the Jungfraujoch is definitely beautiful. Please be sure to take the route via Meiringen. From Lucerne, you’ll cross the Brünig Pass, and then get to Interlaken along lake Brienz. From Interlaken, there are two routes to the Jungfraujoch: one via Grindelwald, and one via Lauterbrunnen/Wengen. Both options can be recommended, and you could get up one way and down the other way.

A regular ticket for a single journey from Lucerne to the Jungfraujoch costs CHF 137.40 per person, in 2nd class. Prices can be checked through the online timetable (please read our FAQ for explanations) and the Jungfrau Railways website. Children up to and including 5 years old can travel along for free if they’re accompanied by a parent. For children from 6 up to and including 15 years old, a Junior Card can be purchased. This costs CHF 20.00 per child and allows free travelling along with a parent. However, the situation may be different if you decide to purchase a Swiss rail pass (which might be cost effective if you plan on making more rail, bus or boat journeys besides the Lucerne-Jungfraujoch trip). Many Swiss rail passes include free or discounted travelling for children as well.

I’m not sure if there are tour guides in Interlaken, but you could check this at the Interlaken Tourism website. However, it’s easy to find your way in Interlaken without a guide. It’s quite a small town and the local tourist office provides excellent information on shops and activities. As for shopping: you’ll find many sports and tourist shops along the main road, which runs between both railway stations (Interlaken Ost and Interlaken West).

I hope this provides some answers!

Annika
    7104 posts
    10 November 2010 at 16:02:13 #835209

I’m sorry, I now see that you asked for tour guides at the Jungfraujoch. As far as I know, they’re not available. There are many staff members (at shops/restaurants) though who can answer your questions. The attractions and viewing points are clearly marked and leaflets with information on what to see and what to do are available. You can even plan your visit to the Jungfraujoch in advance by visiting the Jungfraujoch website, which lists all highlights and provides information on fares, timetables, and so on. You could contact the Jungfrau Railways to ask for further information on tour guides.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2012 at 17:33:23 #835210

Hello, I will be making thi trip in October 2012 with (5) adults. I need to do this trip in one day. I would be leaving Lucerne (earliest train) to Interlaken. I will need to be in Montreux by 6:00pm on the same day. Is this possible? Any suggestions?

Annika
    7104 posts
    19 March 2012 at 15:46:24 #835211

Hi tazalama. Yes, that’s doable. Lucerne-Jungfraujoch takes about 4h30 and Jungfraujoch-Montreux 4h45 to 5h00. You could be up at the Jungfraujoch as early as 10.20am, spend a couple of hours there, and then move on to Montreux. All connections can be checked in the timetable.

• The thread ‘Lucerne to Jungfraujoch’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.