Lucerne to Lauterbrunnen in a panoramic carriage

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2016 at 2:43:21 #808664

I’m hoping you can give me some further advice to my post back in January regarding this train route. Slowpoke was fantastic enough to do a search for our particular day of travel on 25th April approx 9am & sent me screen shots with descriptions of what I am looking at to help decipher.

As our trip is now fast approaching we are sorting out some of these finer details. My wish is to have as least connections as possible & to travel in a panoramic carriage & if possible ViP up the front. When I go to this date & time what before showed as 1 change at Interlarken oast in a panoramic train now shows 2 changes… 1 incl a bus ride involved after only about 20 mins on the train( from Sarnen to Meiringen) or there was an option that went via Olten where a change is required. Can you please help me find the best for scenery & easiest route on the morning of 25th April.

Also, if we have a 2nd class swiss pass do you know how much it is to upgrade to the panoramic & or VIP carriage & if with the issues above & we can’t do a panoramic train is it worth using our full swiss pass or just a 1/2 fare card be a better option. (I’m trying to decide on a 3 or 4 day combi pass)

Thanks for any advice that can be given as I had thought I had this sorted until now I see things have changed.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    20 March 2016 at 11:39:35 #849567

Hi Travellyn,

VIP seats are only available in the Golden Pass trains between Montreux and Zweisimmen. It’s not possible for the route Lucerne-Lauterbrunnen, as this route is covered by regional trains (called “Luzern-Interlaken Express” between Lucerne and Interlaken) that all have regular carriages and regular seats only. There’s still the difference between 2nd and 1st class though. With a 2nd class pass you can get an upgrade ticket for 1st class seats on a particular leg. In that case you’ll pay the difference between 2nd and 1st class fares, as displayed in the timetable, for that leg.

As for April 25: there’s indeed a replacement bus between Sarnen and Meiringen due to rail construction works. That’s a pity, because Sarnen-Meiringen is a beautiful scenic stretch over the Brünig Pass. Riding this leg by bus is quite interesting too though. The alternative via Olten is a bit easier as it involves less changes. Lucerne-Schüpfheim-Bern-Lauterbrunnen is yet another option, and I think more scenic than the ride via Olten. You’ll find details by entering “Schüpfheim” as via-station in the timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2016 at 0:40:38 #849568

Hi Annika thankyou so much for your advice. At least I now know that I’m looking at the right thing & you confirmed what I thought about the bus leg. That’s a shame but the timing can’t be helped. It looks like I don’t even have to give a thought now to panorama carriages & upgrading from 2nd class. I will definitely look into that other option train route you have suggested. It’s good to get a locals knowledge as this isn’t something I would have even realized to look for & it would be nice to get to see the best scenery possible on the day. Thankyou again, much appreciated.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2016 at 7:02:12 #849569

Hi Annika,

Does this apply for 19/4 or 20/4 as well ? My plan is to visit the Jungfrau on either of these dates. Since I will be travelling from Luzern to Interlaken OST, then change to Lauterbrunnen and way up ahead… so do I also need to use a bus somewhere ? If yes, which leg would be that. As of now, I am aware of the below :

1. Luzern to Interlaken OST (Free with Swiss Travel Pass)

2. Interlaken OST to Lauterbrunnen (Free with Swiss Travel Pass)

3. Lauterbrunnen to Klein Scheidegg (25% disc. but from Wengen to Klein Scheidegg)

4. Klein Scheidegg to Jungfrau (25% disc.)

Annika
    7104 posts
    21 March 2016 at 7:20:40 #849570

Hi sskundu,

Yes, there’s a replacement bus between Sarnen and Meiringen on these dates you. You can find out by entering your trip in the timetable and picking the right travel date. Your understanding of the Swiss Travel Pass validity is correct.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2016 at 7:36:44 #849571

Oopss… luckily I saw this post and came to know of this diversion but will I be missing out on anything by taking the bus ?

Also, can you help with the exact point where I need to switch from Train to Bus and again take the Train ?

Arno
    15471 posts
    21 March 2016 at 10:55:07 #849572

Hi sskundu,

Annika already mentioned the exact station names, and it’s all in the timetable too. That’s all the information you need.

The bus takes about the same route but the train ride would have been nicer.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2016 at 11:49:46 #849573

Hi Annika, I’ve done research on the alternate route you suggested here & found there is a train leaving Lucerne at 9.57am. It’s disappointing we aren’t able to do the Lucerne Interlarken express for the scenery but can’t be helped. Can you advise me on this route that we will probably take now instead – is there a best side to sit on the train & what part of the journey offers the best views. Also, would we be advised to prepurchase this ticket or usually just purchase this ticket at the station with our 1/2 fare pass just prior to boarding & is 1st class much different to 2nd class on these trains? We will have a bit of luggage so is there more benefit by going 1st class. Thanks again for your advice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2016 at 11:52:45 #849574

The route I’m talking about is Interlarken to Lauterbrunnen via Schüpfheim & Bern. Thankyou

Annika
    7104 posts
    27 March 2016 at 15:20:32 #849575

Hi Travellyn,

I don’t think there’s a major difference in terms of what side you pick, although I’d have a slight preference for the left side between Bern and Interlaken. Most legs are quite scenic, as you’ll first pass the Emmental between Lucerne and Bern, and then ride along Lake Thun form Bern to Interlaken (not “Interlarken” by the way ;-)). Both 1st and 2nd class offer luggage storage options. Differences are explained here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2016 at 11:32:33 #849576

Thankyou Annika for your quick reply. Not long now until our trip.. Very exciting!

• The thread ‘Lucerne to Lauterbrunnen in a panoramic carriage’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.