Lucerne to Varenna by train or bus

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2017 at 5:22:03 #810584

We are traveling from Lucerne to Varenna in July this year, and wish to take the quicker route. I did see a previous post which listed: leave Lucerne 9.40am, leave Arth Goldau 10.17am, leave Monza 1.32, arrive Varenna 2.23pm. Is this a train journey, is it one train or do you need to change trains/platforms on the way? Do you purchase separate tickets for each part of the journey? Can this ticket (tickets) be purchased online.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 January 2017 at 8:50:38 #858089

Hi Clairer-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

“We are traveling from Lucerne to Varenna in July this year, and wish to take the quicker route. I did see a previous post which listed: leave Lucerne 9.40am, leave Arth Goldau 10.17am, leave Monza 1.32, arrive Varenna 2.23pm. Is this a train journey, is it one train or do you need to change trains/platforms on the way? Do you purchase separate tickets for each part of the journey? Can this ticket (tickets) be purchased online.”

Indeed, it is a train journey. The timetable will help you understand that:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Note that it will work for the Italian portion of the trip, and you will have train changes, as noted in the timetable. Once you have searched for a journey and received the first list of 4 journeys, click on the plus to the left of the journey for details.

Please take some time to read the instructions at the link above. You will require separate tickets for the Swiss and Italian parts of the journey.

This link has lots of useful information”

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr avel/inswitzerland

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy

Let us know if those links don’t tell you what you need.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2017 at 9:41:29 #858090

Thank you very much for your informative reply. Alternate travel for us would be Lucerne to Bellagio, which I understand is train to Como, then ferry. I presume this would involve tickets from both Swiss and Italian train companies as well.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 January 2017 at 14:43:00 #858091

<<“I presume this would involve tickets from both Swiss and Italian train companies as well.”>>

Yes.

Don’t forget to try out the time table to understand the routing/timing. it will work for the whole journey.

Also the links above on Italian tickets, and Swiss trains.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Lucerne to Varenna by train or bus’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.