Lucerne visit

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2010 at 6:06:54 #803847

Hello, we are planning to be in lucerne for 2 days later in the month of June. I have couple of queries and would deeply appreciate any advise/feedback on these.

1. We want to do a golden trip of Mount. Pilatus but a part of that journey is covered by the Swiss pass we have. So, should I buy tickets for the Kriens-Mt Pilatas-Alpnachshad part of the journey (for which I think we get 50% discount) at the Lucerne railway station or can I do so online? Also, how do I calculate teh costs? The website only gives the cost of a complete roundtrip.

2. I am sure Mt Pilatus offers amazing sights but is there any activity possible theree? Short walks or any adventure sport which may excite an 11yrs old girl?

3. Is there any particular cruise that anyone can recommend for Lake Lucerne and any info on its time tables/ points of departure would be most helpful.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    5 June 2010 at 9:40:14 #831350

Hi Navnita!

1) The mountain sections between Kriens and Mt. Pilatus, and between Mt. Pilatus and Alpnachstad are indeed discounted by 50%. The rest of the trip is for free as it’s covered by your Swiss Pass. You can check discounted and free travel routes through the map on the Swiss Pass page; just follow the link ‘Overview of the network on which the Swiss Pass is valid’ to get there. You can purchase your discounted tickets down at the cable car office in Kriens, where you’ll start your mountain trip. If you show your Swiss Pass, you’ll receive a discounted ticket. On the website of Mt. Pilatus, a price overview of all separate sections is listed as well.

2) Mt. Pilatus is primarily a beautiful viewing point. The rides up there by cable car or mountain train are true attractions as well. The mountain station is based on a narrow mountain ridge, which doesn’t leave much room for walks or other activities. There is a short panoramic path with stairs though and you’ll also find a shop and a restaurant. Halfway up, between Kriens and Mt. Pilatus, there’s a suspension rope park and a toboggan run. Please check their website for more information.

3) All cruises on Lake Lucerne are beautiful. There are lots of possibilities. You could cross the entire lake from Lucerne to Flüelen and return by train (or the other way around of course). Shorter round trips are an option as well. All trips will be for free with your Swiss Pass. Timetables can be found on the website of Lake Lucerne.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2010 at 12:46:02 #831351

You also may enjoy the trip up Mt. Rigi. It is 100% covered with the Swiss Pass. Take the boat from in front of the station to Vitznau and then the Rigibahn to the top station at Rigi Kulm. On the return you can take the blue train down to Arth Goldau and then the train from there back to Luzern.
    Dick

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2010 at 15:11:33 #831352

Its great to know that Mount Rigi is covered fully by the Swiss pass..that certainly makes it an attractive option! Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2010 at 15:13:44 #831353

Thanks Annika for your quick reply. I didn’t know that all of Lucerne cruise is covered by the Swiss pass. Great info!

• The thread ‘Lucerne visit’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.