Lucern/Neuchatel/Interlaken in 11 Days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2014 at 14:59:48 #806596

First of all thank you very much for all the valuable information revealed in this website.

We are a Turkish couple from Istanbul. We have only 2 days left to start our trip to Switzerland but I realized that my mind is still not clear on several points. I will appreciate it very much if someone can help me with these points:

1 – Choosing the correct pass is very difficult. Let me give my program (total 11 days) and see if someone can help me with an educated guess: (Only public transportation)

1) Arrive at Zurich airport. Train to Lucern then boat to Weggis 2) Cable car to Rigi, cog train down to Witznau, boat to Weggis. Maybe a lake tour. 3) Boat to Lucern, maybe climbing to Pilatus. 4) Train to Neuchatel 5,6) Several very short distance train or tram rides around Neuchatel 7) Train to Interlaken, lake tour 8) To Wengen, maybe Blausee, to other small towns and easy hiking. (Cable cars etc) 9) Hopefully Jungfraujoch 10) Train to Zurich; trams in Zurich 11) Train to Zurich airport.

2 – I am inclined to buy 15 days Swiss pass for convenience although costly if it is not unreasonable. How can I understand if I have to pay additional or not for example when I want to get on the cog train in Witznau or cable car somewhere etc. Is there a sign telling?

3) Do you think we can take a scenic train while making this trip, even if it means spending extra one or two hours? Is it worth to increase the travel time? Neuchatel part of our trip is fixed; so this should be either coming to or going from Neuchatel; such as Golden Pass. Is it worth doing that and how can we realize it? (reservation online or at the stations? Will Swiss Pass pay for that?)

4) For traveling around Wengen and specifically for Jungfraujoch, can we reserve seats since I have a serious back problem and don’t want to travel while standing. How can we make sure the most comfortable travel if there is such a thing 🙂

Any other advise is also welcome. We are leaving monday morning so answer before sunday evening if possible will be very much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    23 August 2014 at 9:21:22 #840893

Hello kemalt! Let’s look into your questions:

1. A Swiss Pass would certainly be most convenient, since you plan to travel quite a lot. Furthermore not all of your plans seem to be fixed yet, and the Swiss Saver Pass would provide ultimate flexibility.You could look into the Swiss Flexi Pass too: it might fit well with your combination of longer transfers and shorter regional trips. Which pass is most economical can only be calculated based on a fixed list of plans, and if you don’t have time to do so, making an educated guess is indeed all you can do now.

2. The Swiss Pass validity map shows which routes are included. If you are not able to figure it out from the map, you can review price lists at the spot and/or ask the (cog) train, boat or cable car personnel before boarding.

3. You can do part of the Golden Pass route. It runs between Lucerne, Interlaken and Montreux, and Neuchatêl isn’t along this route. But you use it when traveling from Interlaken to Zurich. You should do so via the Brünig Pass and Lucerne in that case. The route itself is included in the Swiss Pass, seat reservations are not. Please see the Golden Pass page and our seat reservation explanation.

4. Seat reservations are not common (unless they’re for large groups) and in most cases not necessary in the Jungfrau region, and in September it won’t be as crowded as in July and August. But if you want to be absolutely sure you can check the options with the staff at a railway station, e.g. in Interlaken.

Enjoy your stay! It would be great if you could post a trip report one you’ve returned.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2014 at 9:59:33 #840894

My sincere thanks…This answer has really been helpful. Best regards.

• The thread ‘Lucern/Neuchatel/Interlaken in 11 Days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.