Lugano to Lucerne – Boat and Train?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2015 at 15:52:00 #807625

We are planning to take the train from Milan Italy to Lugano and from there take the William Tell Express

As I understand it this is a combination of Train and Boat. If I go to SBB.CH and ask for the Lugano – Lucern route – is that just the train? or is it both

This is very confusing to me.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 July 2015 at 16:59:39 #844721

Hi jojofiorito, welcome to MySwissAlps,

It looks like you have not found our Wilhelm Tell Express page yet. All you need to know about it, including a link to the timetable, is there. Basically it’s a train to Flüelen, then a boat to Lucerne.

myswissalps.com/wilhel mtellexpress

Just let us know if you have further questions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 July 2015 at 17:05:54 #844722

<<“All you need to know about it, including a link to the timetable, is there. Basically it’s a train to Flüelen, then a boat to Lucerne.”>>

It’ worth adding that those are both very scenic parts.

The Gotthard Pass in a train is very impressive, and the boat ride on the lake includes my favorite part….the section from Flüelen to approx. Brunnen or Treib.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2015 at 17:25:29 #844723

I found the page, thanks!

So if the boat arrives at Fluelen at 12:50pm how far is the port from the train station? There is a train to Milano at 13:14 – will I make it?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2015 at 17:33:04 #844724

Planning a day trip to lugano from lucerne .while returning back from lugano to lucerne how can we have some section of scenic route

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 July 2015 at 18:10:18 #844725

<<“So if the boat arrives at Fluelen at 12:50pm how far is the port from the train station? There is a train to Milano at 13:14 – will I make it?”>>

Yes.

Follow this link:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=geol&X=195776.57 &Y=688828.68&zoom=5&la ng=de&bgLayer=ch.swiss topo.pixelkarte-grau&layers_opacity=0& layers=ch.swisstopo.ge ologie-geocover

Zoom in on Flüelen and turn on the aerial photograph version. See for yourself.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 July 2015 at 18:15:48 #844726

<<“while returning back from lugano to lucerne how can we have some section of scenic route”>>

You would have a hard time avoiding it. 😉 Next year there will be a very long tunnel beneath the Gotthard Pass, but right now, you get a very scenic train ride higher up.

The boat ride is really nice, too.

Check out the William Tell Express Route, as discussed in this thread. Follow the link that Arnold gave.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 July 2015 at 18:19:08 #844727

<<“If I go to SBB.CH and ask for the Lugano – Lucern route – is that just the train? or is it both”>>

Once you have the first response from SBB.CH for travel from Lugano to Luzern, then expand the stations list to show intermediate stops. Go deeper and you can get a route map for the particular train.

Some of the intermediate stops will pretty clearly be boats.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Lugano to Lucerne – Boat and Train?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.