Lugano to Luzern by train & boat using Swiss Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2014 at 17:34:19 #806497

Hello,

I plan to start early from my base at Luzern by regular trains to Chur to catch the Bernina Express to Tirano; then by Bernina Express Bus up to Lugano. Finally return back to Luzern by train & boat combination. Is it possible to complete this whole excursion in one day or is it too hectic for a day? I will buy Swiss Saver Pass second class. I understand I need to reserve for Bernina Express train & bus; but apart from these, will the Swiss Pass cover this whole excursion 100%? I read boat trip in Lake Luzern is covered by Swiss Pass – in other places it is also mentioned that I need to upgrade my ticket to first class on the boat! I do not mind traveling second class the whole way. Is it possible to travel from Lugano to Luzern (train & boat) using Swiss Pass (second class) without paying anything extra? Thank you so much.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    8 July 2014 at 17:57:58 #840569

Hi confi999,

Welcome to our website! This trip is too much for one day. The timetable provides insight in what can be done. You will reach Lugano around 17:30. That’s too late to do the Wilhelm Tell route (train + boat) to Luzern. You can still reach Luzern by train, but it’s a very long day of traveling. Too hectic to my taste, but that’s a personal preference.

The Bernina Express needs to be booked in advance. The rest of the trip is free with your Swiss Pass, including the boat, see here. This assumes you won’t be using the special Wilhelm Tell Express (see the above link), but the regular trains and boats on the same route.

The best way to do this is spending the night in Lugano. That leaves you with plenty of time to enjoy the train and boat to Luzern the next day. You may even want to include Mount Rigi along the way, which is also free with your Swiss Pass.

A hotel near the rail station in Luzern would be comfortable. You can find suggestions here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2014 at 14:49:48 #840570

Hi,

Many thanks Annika for your quick and very helpful reply. We will be traveling with a 6-months-old baby on a stroller. I just realized the Bernina Express Bus might not allow a stroller (I believe Bernina Express train allows it). The Palm Express postbus site says – “No bicycle transport fixtures available in/on the vehicle —- No guarantee of wheelchair access to the postbus”. I apprehend this might be the case for BE bus as well. In that case we want to drop the BE bus part.

Now can you suggest me from Tirano which direction (with scenic beauty) can we go to if we do not want to travel on the same route (BE route Chur-Tirano) twice. Also Tirano is on Italy; can we catch a regular train from Tirano with the Swiss Pass to travel to some Swiss destinations?

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 July 2014 at 17:10:51 #840571

Hi confi999,

You can take along a stroller in the train, and I don’t expect it to be a problem in the bus if you can fold it into a compact package. In that case it will be stored in the luggage section of the bus, just like any other luggage. You can ask the local railway company (RhB) if you like. For a day of traveling like this, some kind of baby basket may be more convenient than a stroller. You won’t be walking a lot anyway.

Tirano is indeed in Italy, and with a Swiss Pass, the only option is to travel back on the same train line, or take the bus to Lugano. See here for where the Swiss Pass is valid.

Hopefully this helped!

• The thread ‘Lugano to Luzern by train & boat using Swiss Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.