Luggage lockers at Maroggia Melano station

• Hilde
    Participant
    7 posts
    11 March 2023 at 8:37:45 #829290

Does anyone know if there are luggage lockers or storage facilities at the Maroggia Melano train station. We will be travelling from Lugano to Como and want to make a side trip to Monte Sighignola. Or will it be better to hire a driver to take us to Monte Sighignola and then drop us at the train station to continue onto Como?

Also, how does the train tickets into Italy work. We will be travelling with the STP but how does it work with tickets once we cross over into Italy?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    11 March 2023 at 15:04:13 #951993

Hi Hilde,

Maroggia -Melano is a small station. It’s unlikely you’ll find luggage lockers there. You’re probably better off leaving your luggage at the lockers at Lugano station.

If you’re planning to visit the Balcony of Italy on Mount Sighignola, the easiest route is via Lanzo d’Intelvi on the Italian side. From Lugano it’s probably about 30 mins drive.

The Swiss Travel Pass is valid in Switzerland only but it does include some local transport along the borders. You can view the validity map here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity. If you’re travelling to Como, you will need a ticket to cover the Italian portion of your journey.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2023 at 2:38:23 #951994

As far as I know there is no bus to Monte Sighignola

Nearby Monte Generoso gives similar views and is within Switzerland with a convenient mountain railway from Capolago.

In Italy you need to but Italian transport tickets. The Swiss travel Pass is not valid south of the border station at Chiasso, but there are cross border fares as it is a combined transport network:

arcobaleno.ch/en/range/tickets/cross-border-tickets

Hilde
    Participant
    7 posts
    12 March 2023 at 5:57:14 #951995

Thanks everyone, I was trying to avoid going back to Lugano but will see how I can arrange everything.

I am aware that I can only use the STP in Switzerland but I am trying to understand how the tickets will work when crossing the border into Italy. According to the SBB website, there is a direct train from Lugano to Como. So where and when do I buy the tickets for the Italian portion of the trip if it is a direct train?

Yolanda
    2363 posts
    12 March 2023 at 15:30:43 #951996

Hello Hilde,

You can find more information on purchasing tickets to Italy here:

Essentially you can either buy the ticket for the Italian leg of the journey at a staffed railway station or online.
    When crossing the border, you can stay seated on the train (if it’s a direct train). As long as you have a ticket for one leg of the journey, and a Swiss Travel Pass for the other.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

• The thread ‘Luggage lockers at Maroggia Melano station’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.