Luggage service at rail stations Zermatt & Geneva

Luggage service at rail stations Zermatt & Geneva

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
msrajey
msrajey
26 posts
Mar 11, 2016 - 8:59 AM

Hi,

i will be in Switzerland in Late September and would like to get some advice on how I can plan a day travel from zermatt to geneva (geneva airport station) with a stopover to visit the chillion castle? What time do I set out and which train routes must I take? Also I wish to see the sunset at the chillion castle before leaving to geneva airport. Is this feasible?

And I am Travelling with 2 children, aged 5 and 1, hence do not wish to carry all the luggage and stroller to the chillion castle. I understand there is a luggage service where they will transport my luggage from zermatt train station to Geneva airport station? How early do I need to book for this or can I do it on the day I wish to drop my luggage for transfer and how LATE can I pick up my luggage at geneva airport station? Please advise. Thank you very much!

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2657 posts
expert
Mar 11, 2016 - 11:24 PM in reply to msrajey

HiMSRajey-

Most, if not all of your questions can be answered by looking at a couple of websites

They are the Swiss Transport Timetable and a description of the luggage services from the SBB web site.

After you have checked them out, let us know if your questions are not answered.

www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

and,

www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/lugg age-and-flight-luggage.html

Slowpoke

msrajey
msrajey
26 posts
Mar 12, 2016 - 12:12 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Hi Slowpoke,

i checked the "connections express luggage" in the following link :

www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/lugg age-and-flight-luggage/luggage-product-comparison/express-luggage/connections-express-luggage.html

however, when checked I couldn't find geneva airport station but geneve station instead and was wondering if they were the same? And it only said collection after 6pm but did not state till how late I could collect. If the station was not geneva airport station, then this service is not useful and I need to carry my luggage with me along with my children. Hence, needed help from this forum on the details as I could not find any email address for sbb.

Thanks! :)

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2657 posts
expert
Mar 12, 2016 - 1:51 AM in reply to msrajey

Hi MSRaJey -You did not follow the link on the page for Express luggage:

www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/lugg age-and-flight-luggage/flight-luggage-price-comparison/express-flight-luggage.html.

There are several pages and te necessary one does not always appear, for reasons unknown to me.

It can get to Geneve Aeroport by 3 PM.

Luggage office closes at 1845 on weekdays.

www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/am-bahnhof/railway-stations/bahnhof-finden.posid.1008.html

What is your travel date?

Slowpoke

msrajey
msrajey
26 posts
Mar 12, 2016 - 2:17 AM

Hi

I saw this link too but I'm not checking in that day but staying at a hotel near Geneva airport on that night - 30 Sep 16. My flight is only on 1st oct 16. So I need to transfer my luggage from zermatt to geneva airport on 30 Sep to collect the luggage on 30 Sep without any flight check in. Hence wanted to find out till what time I can collect the luggage on 30 sept.

so I only searched for express luggage without flight check in. Can I use the link you gave me and do a luggage transfer connection to the airport without flight check in?

also I went to see operating hours of Geneva airport station and it said till 20:15 but not sure if it meant for such luggage transfer within Switzerland too..:

www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/am-bahnhof/railway-stations/bahnhof-finden.posid.1026.html

am I looking at the correct information?

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2657 posts
expert
Mar 12, 2016 - 2:31 AM in reply to msrajey

<<"so I only searched for express luggage without flight check in. Can I

use the link you gave me and do a luggage transfer connection to the

airport without flight check in?">

I think you are able to , but you are right. It is not clear.

I cannot help further, but the SBB does have a contact e-mail. I have used it many times.

www.sbb.ch/en/meta/con tact.html

They take a while to respond.

I don't understand whether you have to register for a flight to get the fast service.

Possibly,d epending on your schedule, you might send some bags ahead and travel with a small amount, carried with you....?

<<"also I went to see operating hours of Geneva airport station and it said till 20:15 but not sure if it meant for such luggage transfer within Switzerland too..:

www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/am-bahnhof/railway-stations/bahnhof-finden.posid.1026.html

am I looking at the correct information?">>

You are right. It looks like 2105 is correct. I mistakenly used the link for Geneva main station.. My apologies.

Slowpoke

Last modified on Mar 12, 2016 - 2:32 AM by Slowpoke
msrajey
msrajey
26 posts
Mar 14, 2016 - 3:56 PM in reply to Slowpoke

Thank you slowpoke. I've submitted the form. Shall wait for their reply.

Junior
Junior
6 posts
Mar 17, 2016 - 3:34 AM

Hi msrajey

I am interested in the answer you may have got from sbb as I sent them a similar

question regarding Zurich Airport and received an answer that did not address express

flight luggage at all telling me that I could only send to Zurich HB.

Have you received any information back from them?

msrajey
msrajey
26 posts
Mar 20, 2016 - 3:52 PM

Hi

apologies for the delayed response. Yes I got a reply but I must say they have been giving mixed replies similar to yours. Earlier on they said no such service to geneve and / or Geneva airport. Then I attached a screenshot of their website to them and finally they agreed yes it is available. My advice to you, do a screenshot of the page on express flight service to Zurich airport and see if they agree with that specific page / paragraph or disagree..

Hope this helps.

Junior
Junior
6 posts
Mar 20, 2016 - 10:50 PM in reply to msrajey

Thanks for that. I did re email them and got a much better response stating that

express flight luggage, without check in, is possible if left at Grindelwald before 9am

and will be available for collection at Zurich Airport after 3. A great service , if it

works, even if it is reasonably expensive. We fly out the following morning.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2657 posts
expert
Mar 20, 2016 - 10:54 PM in reply to Junior

HI Junior -

It will work.

This is Switzerland, after all.

;-)

Good service, not cheap. But, they want you to come back.

Slowpoke

msrajey
msrajey
26 posts
Mar 21, 2016 - 12:36 AM

Yup, it is indeed a great privilege to have such a service available despite the price as I'd rather focus on 2 tired kids than tire myself with the luggage.

I intend to use this service to get to Geneva airport.

Have a good trip, Junior!

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016