Round trip Pilatus not clear if parking in Kriens

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 December 2016 at 15:50:10 #810488

I want to visit Pilatus by departing kriens and using cable car on one slope and return via alpnachstad cog train on downslope. I see one can depart Luzern and use public transport both ways but would prefer to drive. is there a way to get from alpnachstad to kriens so I can go up Pilatus via cable car and down using the cog rail? by not using public transport from Luzern, I need to get back from alpnachstad to kriens to get back to the car park and its not clear how to do this.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 December 2016 at 1:54:51 #857640

Hi Billpal-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

When?

The cograil is shutdown during part of Winter.

Why are you averse to public transport? If you are not driving, that is the only way to get from Alpnachstad to Kriens at any kind of reasonable cost.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 December 2016 at 3:19:26 #857641

I just prefer the flexibility to drive rather than use public transport. if it turns out to be more a hassle than benefit, then public transport it is. just not my druthers. plan to be there betw mid may and end of maya.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 December 2016 at 9:07:06 #857642

Hi BillPall-

No question that a car offers flexibility. And, if you have a large group, rail costs can add up.

That said, if you have not experienced public transport in Switzerland, you may be surprised by the frequency of service.

In this case, public transport runs every 30 minutes from “Pilatus Zentrum” , does not have to go back through Luzern, and takes 40 minutes. Take a look at the attached screen grab of a random date in May from the timetable. You do have an 11 minute walk in Kriens from “PB” to “Pilatus Zentrum” stop.

Individual tickets cost CHF 4.30 with a half fare card, probably twice that with a full fare, although there are various day-card and 24 hour passes that could be useful if you plan to travel further in or near Luzern that day.

This link:

map.search.ch/?pos=664920,209402&z=12 8&poi=verkehr

which is from mapsearch.ch with some transport overlays turned on in the menus shows that the nearest parking facility is at Parking Garage Hoffmat, which is about the same walking distance as the bus stop at Kriens, Zentrum Pilatus.

There is a bus stop right at Pilatus Bahn (PB) Kriens, but I did not explore its routes or schedules. I let the timetable pick the route in the screen grab attached.

If you are feeling energetic, the train station is a 2 km. walk from the Talstation (valley station) of the cableway.

A screen grab of the satellite view does show limited parking at Kriens PB…attached. I have no idea of cost, or whether the parking area is associated with the cableway, but such lots often have a central parking meter (Zentral Parkuhr.)

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 December 2016 at 15:06:10 #857643

terrific. I have traveled rail in Europe and its quite a treat. thank you for info. i’ll check it out.

• The thread ‘Round trip Pilatus not clear if parking in Kriens’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.