Luzern train station platform 4 to platform 12

• sohelina
    Participant
    4 posts
    7 January 2017 at 17:44:18 #810528

Hi,

First of all, “My Swiss Alps. Com” was an excellent website by providing plenty of information & knowledge about Switzerland.

1) I am going to buy a ticket online with my half fare card from Zurich Airport depart on 26 Jan at 13:47pm to Lauterbrunnen (we stay at lauterbrunnen for 5 nights) via Lucern (due to panoramic train) on 1st class train therefore, my concern is the transit time which arrival at luzern is 14:49pm at platform 4 then we have to rush to platform 12 to continue our journey to Interlaken ost at 15:05pm which is only 15 minutes for the platform changing.

My concern is how far from the platform 4 to 12 at lucern station? Will it be at the same level or we have to go down one more level to get to the platform 12 as We are afraid insufficient time.

2) SBB time table displayed train via from Luzern to Interlaken OST run with “LUZERN-INTERLAKEN EXPRESS InterRegio 29 train” may I know is this a Golden Pass Train with Panoramic View? (Attachment)

3) My flight arrival Zurich Airport at 12:25 pm and do you think that we reserved the train 13:47pm to Lauterbrunnen will it be fine? Please advise. And what about if the flight delayed possible change the ticket to the later time at the SBB counter? Any penalty or additional cost?

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    7 January 2017 at 18:16:45 #857856

Hi sohelina,

Welcome to MySwissAlps, and thanks for your compliments!

1) You only need a few minutes for that change. It’s all on the same level. Walking distance depends on where you are in the train. If you’re in the front you won’t have walk far. If the train is on time there is absolutely no need to rush, and you will most likely spend 10 minutes waiting for the next train to depart 🙂

2) There’s only one type of train on that route, so you can’t miss it.

3) You should be able to make that train, but it really does not matter as your ticket does not include a reservation. You can travel on any train towards Lauterbrunnen that day.

Enjoy the ride!

sohelina
    Participant
    4 posts
    7 January 2017 at 18:25:55 #857857

Dear Arno,

A million of thanks for your prompt reply.

Well, I will make a seat reservation as well cause the section from Luzern to Interlaken OST is a Panoramic Train. Since you advised our train time at 13:47pm should be fine then we will go ahead.

“LUZERN-INTERLAKEN EXPRESS InterRegio 29 train” is this a Golden Pass Train with Panoramic View?

Once again, Thank you.

Arno
    15482 posts
    7 January 2017 at 18:34:20 #857858

You’re very welcome! You really don’t need a reservation for the Luzern to Interlaken train. It is regular public transport, everyone just boards and finds a seat. It happens to be a very scenic area and the trains happen to have panoramic windows, but it still is daily transportation for the locals. Yes, this is the Golden Pass line. However if you prefer to book a seat, you can. It’s a wonderful ride!

sohelina
    Participant
    4 posts
    7 January 2017 at 18:47:53 #857859

Hi,

1. Do you meant we just show our half fare card at the SBB counter and buy the reduce fare ticket once we touch down at Zurich Airport?

2. I need your advise for another route, I am decided visit Jungfrau from Lauterbrunnen and the return trip prefers stop at Grindelwald for exploring, should I just buy separate ticket from Jungfrau to Grindelwald then another ticket from Grindelwald return to my Lauterbrunnen Hotel with my half fare card.?

Thanks

Arno
    15482 posts
    7 January 2017 at 21:10:04 #857860

Hi sohelina,

1. You can indeed buy a ticket from the counter, from the machine, or online, but that’s not what I meant. I mean that tickets, wherever or whenever purchased, do not include seat reservations. Tickets are valid for the day, not for a specific train, so you simply take the first available train from the airport.

2. The staff at the Lauterbrunnen station can sell you a ticket for the entire route of that day.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 January 2017 at 1:22:36 #857861

Hi Sohelina-

Your concern about details of travel, including transfer times at Luzern, shows that you are being very careful and very thorough. That is a really good way to learn how the system works.

<<“My concern is how far from the platform 4 to 12 at lucern station?”>>

Arno has given you a thorough and correct answer.

Since you seem to be worried, and you should not be, because the Swiss train system does not build in transfer times that are too short, here is a link to the station map:

plans.trafimage.ch/luz ern#?lang=en&layer=luzern_i nnenplan&x=666047&y=21 1114&r=0.14

As you can see from the map, all of the trains at Luzern are on one level. You can walk from the rail head for track 4 to the rail head for track 12 in 31.5 seconds, unless there are a lot of crowds, in which case it will take 37.6 seconds. Just joking, but they are very close. Add 3 to 5 minutes to wall along the platforms. However, if you are in a hurry, get on the departing train at any car and walk through the cars until you find a car of your chosen class ( 1st Class or 2nd Class) with empty seats, and sit down. Reservation are absolutely not needed on the routes you mention.

If you take the Golden Pass Route on a train specifically from interlaken to Montreux, there are special trains with panoramic cars from Zweisimmen down to Montreux. Those special cars require reseevtions. But, there are “regular” cars in the same trains, and also “regular” trains, and you can see 98% of the scenery from them, just as well.

My purpose in giving these details, is to help you to help yourself, in case the forum is not available to you, or you are in a hurry for an answer. Use the SB website. The website for the SBB rail system is full of useful information.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.htm l

For help in using the timetable, the explanation here is quite useful:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

You do not need reservations between Luzern and Interlaken.

The Swiss system wants to make it easy for you:

<<“1. Do you meant we just show our half fare card at the SBB counter and buy the reduce fare ticket once we touch down at Zurich Airport?”>>

If you choosem, you may forget the SBB counter. Just as Arno said.

You may buy a ticket from a machine or ticket counter. Tell the machine by choosing 1/2 fare, or tell the agent “1/2 fare”. No one will need to see your card.

The only time you need to show the half- fare card is when the conductor walks through the train to punch tickets. Then you show your ticket and the half fare card, both.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 January 2017 at 1:47:00 #857862

Hi Sohelina-

<<“3) My flight arrival Zurich Airport at 12:25 pm and do you think that we reserved the train 13:47pm to Lauterbrunnen will it be fine? Please advise. And what about if the flight delayed possible change the ticket to the later time at the SBB counter? Any penalty or additional cost?”>>

if you make a reservation and miss the train you have wasted your money. One hour and twenty minutes should work…even if you must go through passport control because you might arrive from a non- Schengen country, and even if you have checked luggage. Even if you have a lot of luggage you should make it, although that certainly can slow you down.

Just in case you miss and need to wait for the next train, there is a food court on the top floor (ground floor) of the train station that is just across the street from the arrival area. On the maps, it is in “Airport Center 3” but there are whole lot of signs to guide you. .The trains are two to three levels below the food court. The ticket counters are 1 or 2 levels below, and the ticket machines are all over the place.

http://www.zurich-airport.com/passengers -and-visitors/airport-services-en/site-plans

http://www.ifly.com/zurich-airport/terminal-map

Slowpoke

sohelina
    Participant
    4 posts
    8 January 2017 at 8:59:43 #857863

Dear Arno,

Once again accept my sincere thanks for your quick response and help.

Dear Slowpoke,

Your are such a Great Expert of Switzerland. I would like to said a Big Thanks to you by providing all information that I needed and your helpful extensive including all those maps for my easy understanding. I am so proud of “MySwissAlps.Com" having you around with us.

Million of Thanks

• The thread ‘Luzern train station platform 4 to platform 12’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.