Lucerne – 3 days in May – itinerary help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 11:14:42 #811613

Hi,

We are visiting Switizerland from May 20 – May 27.

May 20 – 23 – We are at Lauterbrunnen and have got a good itinerary worked out in the Jungfrau region. We would have covered Golden Pass line while reaching from Geneva, Jungrfraouch, Grindlewald-First, Grosse Scheidegg, Lake Brienz, Harder Kulm , Trümmelbachfälle; Giessbach falls, Gimmelwald and Murren.

Then we proceed to Luzerne reaching late evening on 23rd at Luzerne.

I could plan a complete day – Rigi, Hiking in Rigi and Luzern City – Chapel Bridge, Lion Monument

Next day is Engelberg and Titlis. This looks like half a day excursion from Luzerne. What else can we do around Engelberg or in Luzerne.

Are there scenic boat rides on the Luzerne lake that we can take ? Are there any interesting river walk/lake walk at Luzerne or Engelberg that we can consider. ?

Also, we have one unplanned day. Having covered Jungfraouch and Titlis, we feel we can skip Pilatus. Would appreciate if someone has a strong view to consider. We can plan for Rhine Falls and Zurich on that day. Are there any suggestions for this day that we can consider.

Regards

Namrata

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    30 April 2017 at 20:00:21 #862526

Hi Namrata,

There are lots of options for your remaining days in Lucerne. You’ll find them here: myswissalps.com/lucern e/activities. Yes, a boat ride over the lake would be wonderful and it could be done after your trip up to Titlis: myswissalps.com/boatla kelucerne. Note that it’s very easy to combine a boat trip with your visit to Rigi as well: myswissalps.com/rigi. There’s also a nice hike close to Titlis: myswissalps.com/hiking /engelberg-obertruebsee-truebsee.

As for your other day: this really is about your personal preferences. I think the views from Pilatus are great (if weather is good), and different from Titlis and Jungfraujoch: myswissalps.com/pilatu s. Moreover, the ride is entirely for free in case you use a Swiss Travel Pass: myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/validity. Of course Zurich (myswissalps.com/zurich) and the Rhine Falls (myswissalps.com/rhinef alls) are an option as well. You’d best study the links I inserted and compare for yourself.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 May 2017 at 1:18:02 #862527

Hi Namrata-

Seems as though you have a well planned, albeit full, itinerary. You might find that spending more time in and around Luzern is worthwhile.

You won’t find a lake walk at Engelberg, but the lake shore walk in Luzern, from the Schwanenplatz as far as the transport museum is very pleasant in the Spring.

I really like the boat rides. The lake is spectacular:

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ timetable-fares/timetable/

This link about a hike has some good pictures of the lake:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne

And, Annika has given a good link to Luzern activities.

Here a few images that may be useful (attached).

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2017 at 15:12:04 #862528

A visit to Pilatus on a clear day and via cog rail is an especially memorable experience.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 13:01:03 #862529

Hi,

when we go to Rigi, it covers boat trip to Vitnazau and Weggis.

If I want the most scenic boat trip on Luzern, which route will it be?

One thing I hvnt been able to work out in my itinerary is stunning sunsets. Wondering if there is a nice route on Luzerne that can help ?

Regards

Namrata

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 17:57:40 #862530

For the best views I would look at the longer cruises, to Flüelen for instance on Lake Luzern.

As for sunsets, I’m not sure I can recommend a specific boat cruises or areas for that – perhaps being up on Mt. Pilatus if the weather cooperates would be nice.

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 May 2017 at 18:32:41 #862531

Hi Namrata-

Most people believe that the southernmost part of Lake Lucerne is the most scenic. In German, it is the Urnersee, which means the Lake of (Canton) Uri). In the link to the Swiss Path and my hike, that I posted above, you can get some idea what it is like. However, all of the lake has nearby mountains, and any ride is scenic.

At the beginning of that thread, I have included a map of the lake showing the boat routes/stops. It is upside down-South is at the top.

Sometimes, if have time, I take the train to Flüelen and ride the boat back all the way to Luzern….about a 3 or4 hour ride depending on which journey you select… Some make more stops than others

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ timetable-fares/timetable/

However, because I like the southernmost part best and don’t want to take quite so much time, sometimes I ride the boat as far as Brunnen, get off and walk 10 minutes to the train station and take the train back to Luzern. Or, I ride the boat as far as Vitznau, get off there and go up on the Rigi.

All the boats have at least snacks and drinks, and most have restaurants.

Some are steam powered paddlewheelers. The coumns in the timetable I linked just above have a boat at the top for the routes that normally have a paddlewheel boat with a steam engine for power.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2017 at 4:34:03 #862532

Thanks for all the inputs. Will surely study.

I hv one more option.. Gotthrad Panorama route.

Considering that we are there during weekdays, we will not get Panaroma train but can travel on the same route using ordinary trains..

We would hv done the Golden line panaroma.

So is the journey worth taking.?

we also have option of going to Matterhorn.. Having done Jungfrau n Tiflis, is it worth the time.. Will there a very different experience?

Regards

Namrata

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2017 at 9:32:04 #862533

I think the Gotthard Panorama Express trip is still worth it even without the panorama train yes.

The Golden Pass is also a nice option if you like the idea of visiting Montreux.

I thought it was pretty cool to see the Matterhorn! While you can’t actually visit the mountain, there are nice options to visit for great views: Gornergrat and/or Klein Matterhorn.

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 May 2017 at 10:15:57 #862534

Hi Namrata-

<<“So is the journey worth taking.?”>>

There is no single answer to your questions. “Worth it” is based on your values, not ours.

Personally, i love the scenery and the impressive rail engineering seen on the ride through the Gotthard Pass. That experience is unique to the Gotthard Pass. You con’t get sucha dose of fantastic rail and road construction in the high Alps any where else, as far as i know. Others swoon over the Matterhorn. The train on the Golden Pass route, descending to Montreux from about Montbovon onward has wonderful views of the lake and the vineyards.

I am in the camp that thinks the Matterhorn is not critical to see after Jungfrau, the Jungfrau region, and Titlis.

But, I’ve seen a lot of Swiss mountains. So, for me the lake boat on Lake Lucerne (surrounded by mountans) is a welcome change. Others think the high Alpine mountains are worth every available second.

I refuse to answer your question! 😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2017 at 12:57:30 #862535

Thanks All.

You all have been a great sounding board. Gives me a great deal of way forward..

We are a group of 11 and hence getting out an itinerary is complex..

A lot of what I was thinking resonates with your comments!

Regards

Namrata

• The thread ‘Lucerne – 3 days in May – itinerary help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.