Maggie”s 2015 trip so far

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2015 at 8:47:14 #807604

Hello everyone

We have been in Switzerland for just over a week and seem to have spent a lot of our time trying to keep cool! I don’t function at all well in the heat so some of our plans have had to be put on hold until it cools down enough for me to do some walking – we had to abort one walk early and catch train instead! We were setting out on House Trail from Zweisimmen to St. Stephan but only got as far as Blankenburg and had to catch train to Lenk instead.

In praise of Sbb timetable I planned a complicated route last Thursday which worked out exactly as planned and involved lots of different transport modes. Local bus to train station, S-Bahn to Munsingen, bus to Konolfingen, train to Schupfheim, (it was the Kambly express so we were given sample biscuits by train crew!), bus to Soerenberg, gondola to Brienzer Rothorn. After about 3 hours up there enjoying the views and having lunch (Mike did a short walk), we took the little red train down to Brienz which connected nicely with boat across Lake Brienz to Interlaken Ost. Train to Interlaken West (lazy I know but didn’t fancy hot walk), time for an ice-cream in café before boat across Lake Thun to Thun and local bus back to apartment. A great day out and most of the time managed to stay cool.

On Monday we went by train from Thun to Romanshorn where we took S-Bahn to Kreuzlingen Hafen to enjoy river cruise all the way to Schaffhausen from where we could catch trains back to Thun with just one change in Zurich. The cruise was great – lots of lovely buildings to see at the stops along the route and we were cool.

Yesterday it was a boat again! We went by trains to Fluelen (one change in Zurich) then took cruise on Lake Lucerne to Lucerne. The boat was very busy even on the upper deck where we usually find it easier to find a seat. From Lucerne we took the train to Interlaken Ost – the pretty route home- and train to Thun.

So, so far we have not done much walking, but have made good use of our Swiss Travel Pass as the only time we needed to pay was the 50% off the gondola and Brienzer Rothorn train. If the weather cools down a bit we may then try some of our planned walking excursions. We are here for a month altogether so here’s hoping.

Maggie.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 July 2015 at 17:12:03 #844649

Hi Maggie,

Thanks a lot for your report, with again really nice day trips. You managed to do a lot in spite of the high temperatures. It’s hot, too hot. The boat trips are indeed a good tip for these warm days. The water and the wind are pleasant.

The coming days will be somewhat cooler but also rainier. Perhaps a good time to go enjoy some museums for free with your pass 🙂

Enjoy the rest of your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2015 at 20:50:37 #844650

Thanks for your reply Arno.

Do I gather you are also in Switzerland right now? If so I hope you are enjoying your stay.

We stayed close to base today – shopping in the excellent Thun market before taking advantage of the heat to do some washing! It was so oppressive I was exhausted just hanging it on the line! But it dried very quickly which is just as well as the expected storm broke in mid-afternoon and we had thunder, lightning and a downpour.

As more rain is in the offing we plan to go to Hergiswil Glas tomorrow as it looks really interesting.

I always come to Switzerland with a whole host of possible trips/excursions planned out and stored on a memory stick so that I can access the details as required by weather suitability!

We are here for the August 1st celebrations and our hosts have invited us to join them for a family party in Oberhofen so we will be able to enjoy a real Swiss get-together.

Maggie

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 July 2015 at 5:42:26 #844651

Hi Maggie,

Yes, we’re in Switzerland too right now. It was very hot in the Zurich region last week. Now we’re in the Oberengadin, which is better, but still much warmer than usual.

Glasi in Hergiswil is very interesting, and the factory shop is very tempting. Lots of really nice (mostly handmade) glass products for sale!

• The thread ‘Maggie”s 2015 trip so far’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.