Matterhorn and/or Jungfrau?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2012 at 7:43:11 #805140

Hello,

I shall be visiting Switzerland from 18 May to 28 May. My itinerary is as follows:

Lucerne – 3 days (Mt Rigi + Mt Titlis)
    Lauterbrunnen – 3 days (Jungfrau, Schilthorn, Aare Gorge/Spiez, Trummelbach falls)
    Zermatt – 1 day (Matterhorn)
    Montreux – 3 days (Chillon, Vineyard hike, Mont Pelerin, Gruyere)

I am wondering whether I should try and see both the Matterhorn and Jungfrau or just spend an extra day in the Jungfrau region instead, since I have just one day for Zermatt (arrive at 10.15 and leave next day by 9.30am). How would you rate my chances of getting a clear view of the Matterhorn at that time of the year. Is it a ‘not to be missed’ experience or would it be more sensible to spend an extra day in the Interlaken area (no dearth of things to do there!).

Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Aparna

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    12 April 2012 at 10:09:19 #835673

Hello Aparna,

Questions like these are always hard to answer, as no one can predict the weather. There are lots of things to do and see in the Jungfrau region, so you would be a bit more sure there. Maybe browsing through the hiking tips and day trips in the Bernese Oberland can help you decide. But to be honest: I’m a great Bernese Oberland fan, so there you go.
    On the other hand: the view at the Matterhorn (and other mountains) from Gornergrat (Zermatt) are fantastic too. It would be a pity if you plan a day in Zermatt and the weather doesn’t cooperate. On the other hand it would be a pity if you miss it when it’s sunny. Can you change your plans while you’re in Switzerland and see what the weather forecasts are? You can check that on Meteoschweiz and/or SF1 Meteo.
    Webcams may be of help too.

Not much of a help, I know… I hope I haven’t make things more difficult for you. Good luck deciding!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2012 at 0:52:39 #835674

Dear Olga,
    Thank you very much for sharing your views and the link to the webcams. In fact, I can cancel my Zermatt hotel reservation until two days before so maybe my best bet is to decide when we are in Lauterbrunnen whether we want to see more of the Bernese Oberland or go on to Zermatt.

Thanks again!

Aparna

bean912
    Participant
    3 posts
    17 April 2012 at 23:35:16 #835675

I would opt for Zermatt. It could be a “Brigadoon moment”, and I’ve experienced that…it’s worth it. And if you miss seeing the Matterhorn, the town itself is fun. If Jungfrau means the train up to the Jugfrau-joch-I would suggest you take the fennicular at Harder, near the Interlaken Ost train station. There is a great view of the Eiger,Monch and Jungfrau from there-plus some food, frites and beer or wine. You can hike down, if you so desire.

On your way from Lucerne to Interlaken, Brienz is fun to walk around in- the main wood-carving area in Switzerland. Also, the first stop on the boat from Brienz to Interlaken (I recommend the boat rather than the train for that leg of your journey), step off at Geissbach Falls (first stop-just across the lake from Brienz). Classic. You can actually walk behind the waterfall! And if you are really energetic, and have time, hike from Geissbach to Isaltwald and pick up the boat there to Interlaken…so many options, so little time. I envy you your trip-enjoy!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2012 at 0:56:39 #835676

Hi, thanks a lot for your post!

Will definitely do a day trip to Zermatt if the weather permits. Planning a bike tour from Interlaken to Meiringen, so will stop at Istelwald and Geissbach falls on the way. Also thinking that Niederhorn might be fun with a trotti biking on the way down. Yeah, so much to do, so little time!

Regards,
    Aparna

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    19 April 2012 at 15:15:35 #835677

Hello Aparna,

Maybe you’re interested in this web page?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2012 at 3:15:34 #835678

Thanks! This website is great…lots of excursion ideas!
    Regards,
    Aparna

• The thread ‘Matterhorn and/or Jungfrau?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.