May 2-8th in Lauterbrunnen and Grimmelwald

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2015 at 21:55:37 #806922

I am staying 5 nights in Lauterbrunnen and Grimmelwald May 2-8th and want to know about hiking and cable cars. Will all of the cablecars in this area be operational at this time? Are many of the hiking trails snow free or still covered? Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    27 February 2015 at 8:14:22 #841842

Hi sharvey,

May is the low season in between Winter and Summer. The higher trails will be covered in snow and some cable cars will not be operational. You can check the timetable for the trips you intend to make, or check the links on our attraction page like the Schilthorn. I recommend to stay all 5 nights in Lauterbrunnen. Gimmelwald is a tiny village up the mountain that you can visit on your way to Mürren and the Schilthorn, but I would not spend time on changing hotels to stay there. You’re more flexible when based in Lauterbrunnen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2015 at 11:41:33 #841843

In 2010 we stayed in Wengen starting May 19. We were very disappointed. Many cable cars were not running. Restaurants and stores were closed. Trails were snowed in. Very disappointing. Every year is different based on weather. Maybe you will be lucky. However, I’d have a back-up strategy in case you find what we did.

Arno
    15483 posts
    4 March 2015 at 13:08:41 #841844

Good advice by Travel Bug: have a back-up plan. From Lauterbrunnen, you can easily go to the lakes, do a trip to Bern, or even Lucerne. That’s all perfectly fine in May. But in the higher mountains, the options will be limited. It’s still beautiful, but there’s far less to do than in Summer.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2015 at 18:55:22 #841845

I really just want to spend time in the Alps and explore the Lauterbrunnen valley. Would like to be able to do the Jungfraujoch and the Schilthorn – will those be available? Also, will the caves near Interlaken be open?

Annika
    7116 posts
    5 March 2015 at 20:09:52 #841846

Hi sharvey,

Both will be operation early May. The St. Beatus Caves will be open as well.

Annika

• The thread ‘May 2-8th in Lauterbrunnen and Grimmelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.