Milan – Switzerland – Kuala Lumpur

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 October 2014 at 4:11:51 #806694

Hi there.
    Need some expert advice.
    My husband and I are from Malaysia, and we will be flying to Milan for a business trip early November.
    From Milan, we would like to have a short 2 or 3 days tour to Switzerland.
    We have got absolutely no idea at all on how our itinerary should be from Milan.

What caught our attention is:The Railway/Express that brings you up to alps n the UNESCO World Heritage. And, we would like to spend a night or 2 in the swiss Alps.

From there, we need to spend the last day/night in a city with airport in order for us to catch a flight back to Kuala Lumpur.
    Appreciate all advise!
    thank you very much.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    17 October 2014 at 17:12:02 #841244

Welcome to MySwissAlps chowxh!

For such a short day I would advise to pick one base town only. There are many options; please find an overview of popular towns here. If you want to be close to the Alps, Interlaken or a nearby town would be great. I’m not sure what railway you’re referring to, but I assume it’s the train up to the Jungfraujoch, which easily be reached from Interlaken.

As for your inbound trip: from Milan you would travel via Domodossola and Brig. If you’re fond of scenic train routes, you should take the regional Lötschberg train via Goppenstein and Kandersteg, and then contintue to Spiez and Interlaken or Lucerne. Details are available in the timetable. You can enter ‘via stations’ to customize your itinerary.

You could catch a flight from Zurich Airport or Basel Airport and spend the night before your departure in a nearby hotel. Please refer to our overviews of hotels close to Zurich Airport and hotels close to Basel Airport.

It would be wise to look into a rail pass, as that will be cheaper than buying regular train tickets. A Swiss Card or a 3 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass would fit your plans.

Does this help you plan your stay?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 October 2014 at 4:40:57 #841245

HI Annika!

Thank you so much for your speedy reply. Appreciate it!

I was actually referring to the Bernina Express, as what I saw from the internet was that from Milan it will take you straight up to St.Moritz, and was wondering whether we could stay up there for a night and then take another train to Zurich…?

What’s the difference between St.Moritz and Jungfraujoch? We can only choose one with the limited time we have, which is a MUST go?

Annika
    7124 posts
    18 October 2014 at 8:27:36 #841246

Hi chowxh,

The Bernina Express is indeed another UNESCO area that is worth seeing. You can take a train from Milan to Tirano and switch to the Bernina Express there. Then stay in St. Moritz and proceed to Zurich. The links will provide you with all the information you need about the train, what to do in St. Moritz, hotel suggestions, etc.

St. Moritz and Jungfraujoch are totally different. Please see the links in this post and my previous post to learn all about them.

• The thread ‘Milan – Switzerland – Kuala Lumpur’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.