Day hikes or hut to hut in the Mont Blanc area

• petunia
    Participant
    3 posts
    29 July 2016 at 15:22:15 #809776

Can you please tell me the pros and cons of taking day hikes in Mont Blanc area for 5 days vs taking a guided hut to hut hike for 7 days? Wondering if you will see more with hut to hut then day hikes? Our trip is planned for Sept. 1 2016. Husband thinks staying at one location is better but concerned he will miss out on views/beauty if not on hut to hut hike. Thank you Heidi

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    31 July 2016 at 9:26:40 #854655

Hello Heidi,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! The Mont Blanc is on the French/Italian border, so you may not get many replies on our website. Personally I don’t know the area, but I can provide some general comments: hut to hut hikes are very special as you’ll really be in the outdoors for multiple days and can also enjoy sunrise and sunset at wonderful places. Remote areas a easier to reach if you have multiple days without the need to go back to a town. A disadvantage is that you will need to stick to the route once you spend the night in a hut, regardless of the weather. Even more so with a tour. With day hikes, you can adapt your daily plans to the weather and your level of energy. Also you’ll have more choice of accommodation. Huts are pretty basic. Mostly dormitory style.

Hopefully someone else can provide more details.

petunia
    Participant
    3 posts
    31 July 2016 at 21:41:54 #854656

Thank you Arno

I appreciate you taking time to give me your thoughts.

Heidi

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    1 August 2016 at 23:36:04 #854657

Hi Petunia,

I don’t know the area very well, but if you want an experience of a life time, I’d suggest doing the guided hut to hut walk, particularly if you haven’t done much in the mountains before. A good mountain guide will open up a whole new world that you wouldn’t be able to access on your own. The famous hike around Mont Blanc is the Haute Route, but there are other treks that will take you high into the mountains. If you are fit and can afford it, I’d say do the hut to hut walk.

Have Fun!

Alan

petunia
    Participant
    3 posts
    2 August 2016 at 13:58:56 #854658

Thank you Alan! We are signed up and looking forward to it. Appreciate your thoughts.

Heidi

• The thread ‘Day hikes or hut to hut in the Mont Blanc area’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.