Montreux to Interlaken via Brig and Spiez

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2017 at 10:50:26 #811501

Hi !

We would be in Grindelwald for 1 weak from May 18th and would want to dedicate one day to experience scenic train journey. I like the suggestion on webpage http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/gettingthere under the title “What’s the best leg of the route?”

So we plan to take the Golden Pass train to Zweisimmen and Montreux in the mornings hours, spend some time in Montreux; then take a train to Brig; take a local train via Goppenstein and Kandersteg to Spiez; take a train to Interlaken.

What I want to know, why the return leg is suggested via Brig instead of same route back? Also, I see on SBB timetable that Brig to Spiez has two routes, one as suggested here (via Goppenstein and Kandersteg) which longer and takes 1hr08mins and the other via Visp takes only 35mins. Question: Why the longer route? Better views?

Many thanks!

Pranav

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 April 2017 at 11:05:01 #861972

Hi Pranav,

We suggest the other route back so you can see more of Switzerland in one day. Of course you can choose to take the same Golden Pass route back so you can see the same scenery twice.

If you pick the other route, the longer one is much better scenery wise. The shorter one takes less time because it crosses a long tunnel, so nothing to see there.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2017 at 11:12:55 #861973

Hi Arno,

Thanks for such a swift reply!

Would Swiss Travel Pass work on this longer return journey? I saw the map (PDF) given on http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

It gives “broken red lines” between Brig and Spiez (via Goppenstein and Kandersteg), which would mean “Lines with reduction – 50% or 25%”. Is my reading correct? Will the discount on one way be 50% or 25% of the ticket price?

Thanks again!

Pranav

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 April 2017 at 11:23:11 #861974

Hi Pranav,

It’s all free. The dashed lines are just tunnels, but free too. It’s explained on the page you mentioned.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2017 at 11:28:36 #861975

Hi Arno,

Thanks!

My bad – I mistook “dotted lines” with “dashed lines”! The dotted ones are seen from Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen to Jungfraujoch – which would be 25% reduction.

Best regards

Pranav

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 April 2017 at 11:31:51 #861976

You’re welcome. Yes, dotted and dashed, it’s tricky but you got it now!

• The thread ‘Montreux to Interlaken via Brig and Spiez’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.