Buying a ticket from Montreux to Paris – help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2017 at 0:41:42 #812668

Dear Swiss expert

I am trying to work out how to get to Paris from Montreux. I am visiting both Switzerland and France for the first time and my date of travel from Montreux to Paris is 16 Sep. I looked up the train travel on trainline.eu and it comes up with the swiss train and a tgv lyria train. It also adds a disclaimer ‘This ticket can only be retrieved at a French station. Stations outside of France are not equipped with SNCF self-service machines and you will not be able to print it at a ticket counter. If you can’t go to a SNCF station before your trip to collect this ticket, please don’t buy it!’

So how do I get to France without getting the ticket in France? The other question I have is that if I book the train ticket to Paris in Montreux, would I pay a lot more than what I would pay if I booked now? The last option I would be left with is to get to Geneva Airport from Montreux and catch a flight to Paris. And I don’t really want to do that because city centre is good 25-30k from Orly airport in Paris.

Best Regards

Sahil

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2017 at 10:36:59 #867074

Hi Sahil,

I haven’t seen that disclaimer before. I suppose it is when buying an SNCF ticket online and you have to get it printed at a ticket machine in France – strange if that is the case! Don’t do that option. 🙂

You shouldn’t have any issues buying from any of these websites. Give them a try and let us know if you have further issues.

Usually, it is best to buy the ticket online in advance, rather than paying on the day of (for international tickets) so I would try and buy it now.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2017 at 19:52:10 #867075

Hi there

We have just returned from a trip from the UK to Montreux and travelled from Paris Gare De lyon to Montreux changing at Lausanne

initially we were worried about the short time slot to find train once we arrived in Lausanne but it was literally on the same platform

It is a high speed TGV lyria train from Paris to Montreux and took 4 1/2 hrs total. It was a lovely train journey and very scenic.

We only had to book seat reservation as we had a interrail Global Pass and it cost us £24.00 each for a seat reservation.

i have noticed that if booked in advance that Trainline.com have very good offers on this route also look at SEAT 61 recommendations as shows typical train etc,. so you know what your traveling on.

hope you enjoy the trip

• The thread ‘Buying a ticket from Montreux to Paris – help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.