Are Mount Stanserhorn & Mt Rigi very different?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2016 at 22:11:49 #808660

I would appreciate some advice please. We are soon to head to Switzerland ( mid April) doing part organised & part independent travel. Whilst we are in Lucerne, the 2 of us intend to do a 1/2-full day trip to Mt Rigi via lake & train with our swiss pass. However on our organised tour in Lucerne we also have the choice of an optional tour with the group which is fairly expensive….CHF 112 per person to Mt Stanserhorn with a lake cruise as well. I do like the look of the open roof cable car to take you up with those magnificent views. I’m just wondering if this is justified in the expense if we are planning the Rigi trip. Is the view & experience much different ? Thankyou

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    20 March 2016 at 17:51:47 #849552

Hi Travellyn,

Stanserhorn and Rigi are different of course, but it’s hard to compare. Rigi can well be combined with a boat trip and thus makes for a varied day trip. The top offers great views over large part of Lake Lucerne and the uphill ride with cog trains is very pleasant. The ride up to Stanserhorn may be more spectacular due to the open upper deck. Views up there are not that much directed towards the lake, but more to the (Bernese) Alps in the distance. Always keep in mind that the upper deck may be full, although April isn’t high season and tourist crowds shouldn’t be expected. The best you can do is compare the Stanserhorn and Rigi pages and decide for yourself.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 March 2016 at 20:22:05 #849553

To add to Annika’s comments, there are lots of hikes and easy walks on the Rigi.

Pilatus and Stanserhorn are not so favored with walking terrain.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2016 at 0:44:16 #849554

Thanks for the responses. Looks like both will be worthwhile. I guess weather plays a big part. If it’s a nice day if will be great up the top level to Stanserhorn on the cable car.

• The thread ‘Are Mount Stanserhorn & Mt Rigi very different?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.