Mountain trips by train and cable cars – best pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2015 at 0:53:05 #806808

Hi,

Im traveling over in February and staying near Interlaken for 3 days with two children, 11 and 10, I will be coming in by train from Basel and planning on doing Schilithorn, Luaterbrannun, Grindlewald circular by train and cable car on one day, then the

Neiderhorn by Boat, Funicular and cable car on another. Undecided on the third day as yet, I was going to buy a swiss travel card but as the cable cars give discounted rates rather than free, then If I buy a swiss transfer ticket or a half fare card will that be a better way? Also do the family cards give the children free travel or a discounted rate to Neiderhorn and Schilithorn?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    16 January 2015 at 7:44:01 #841539

Hi Rich2700,

There are a couple of regional passes that allow free traveling for adults on cable cars, but they’re only available in Summer. Your best options are:

• 3-day Swiss Travel Pass: no tickets required for trains, boats and buses. You can buy discounted tickets for mountain trips.
    • Swiss Half Fare Card: you would buy 50% discounted tickets for all of your trips.

In both cases, the children travel along for free everywhere, including cable cars. Please see the links for further details like prices, maps, etc.

• The thread ‘Mountain trips by train and cable cars – best pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.