Cheapest transport option for Lucerne & Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2016 at 6:58:30 #808311

Dear forum

I and my wife will like to visit Switzerland in April/2016. Planing to come from Paris and arriving in Lucerne, Switzerland on the 18/Apr.

Option 1 Spend 4 days and 3 nights in Lucerne, visiting the town, boating on the lake and visiting the mountains around Lucerne. from Lucerne then onward to Venice.

Option 2 Spend 3 days and 2 nights in Lucerne doing the same activities above then to interlaken for 2 nights, visiting Jungfrau mountain. Leaving Interlaken for Venice via Milan.

Please let me know the cheapest viable transportation for the above.

thank you.

HP Ham

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    22 January 2016 at 18:10:52 #847912

Hi HP Ham, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Which rail pass is best, depends on your finalized travel plans. For example, it matters whether you pick option 1 or 2. If you spend 4 full days in and near Lucerne, a Tell Pass would be very convenient, as it allows free ticketless traveling throughout the area. You could combine this with regular tickets Basel-Lucerne and Lucerne-Chiasso (at the Swiss-Italian border). You may also try if cheaper supersaver tickets are available for these trips; note that they come with limitations and only allow traveling on one specific date and in one specific train.

If you want to stay in Interlaken as well, it’s easier to pick one rail pass that covers the entire country. A Swiss Half Fare Card would be fine, although you will have to get yourself discounted tickets for each and every trip in that case. You may also see if a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass appeals you to. It won’t cover all days of your stay, but if the first day(s) only include some shorter local trips, this might work.

I suggest you first finalize your travel plans and then start comparing passes as explained at our “How to choose” page. Does that get you started?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2016 at 14:52:34 #847913

Hi Annika

thanks for the quick reply.With Swiss travel pass do I need to buy extra ticket to go up mount Titlis and Jungfrau?

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 January 2016 at 18:42:37 #847914

Hi HP Ham,

Yes, you do, because mountain transport is discounted, not free. Please go to the page Annika linked to and click “Where it’s valid”. All details are there.

• The thread ‘Cheapest transport option for Lucerne & Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.