Day trip to Mt Titlis from Wengen. Practical?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2017 at 6:52:27 #812172

Hi forumers,

I’ll be based in Wengen on July 11 – 14. Arriving at Zurich at 6pm on July 11 and leaving via Zurich at 4:50pm on July 14.

On one of those days, I was thinking of a day trip to Mt Titlis. When I check the train schedule on http://www.sbb.ch, it tells me that it would take 3 hours and 40 minutes to get to Engelberg from Wengen, and an additional 45 minutes to get to the top of Mt Titlis. In total, 9 hours of travelling time which would leave rather little time for exploring around the area.

In light of this, I was wondering if it would be advisable to visit Mt Titlis from Wengen since it seems to be a rather rushed itinerary?

Do chip in on your opinions. Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 June 2017 at 19:39:48 #864715

Hi Rayleigh, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Personally I think it’s too much traveling. With only 4 days in the area there are plenty of other things to do and see much closer to Wengen. So I would not do it, even though the train ride is quite nice, but you can see most of that route (Golden Pass) on your way to/from the airport anyway.

Alternative activities are here:

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    9 June 2017 at 8:05:54 #864716

Hi. I’d say Titlis from Wengen is too ambitious. The Schilthorn would be a better alternative, although it doesn’t have a rotating cable car.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2017 at 17:07:50 #864717

After much consideration, I’ve adjusted my itinerary to the following:

Day 2: Wengen – Lauterbrunnen – Grütschalp – (hike to) Murren – Schilthorn – Gimmelwald – Stechelberg – Trümmelbachfäll.

Day 3. Wengen – Männlichen – (hike to) Kleine Scheidegg – Grindelwald – First.

I did some rough timing estimation for both the days. If we were to start off the day at around 8:30-9am, we would be done at with both Trummelbachfall and back in Grindelwald by around 3-4pm.

Would adding a visit to Schynige Platte be pushing it on either day? Else, what suggestions would you have for the rest of the evening? Probably go for an evening stroll around Wengen? I suppose it would be rather quite since most shops closes after 6pm or so.

Also, can one stop by at Murren when descending from Schilthorn or does the cable car goes non-stop all the way down to Stechelberg?

Regards.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2017 at 5:11:24 #864718

Hi Rayleigh,

I think adding Schynige Platte would be too much – and a bit late to go up there I think. Trying to do too much in one day usually doesn’t make for a fun day (for me anyway). Be sure to check the transport schedules to see if it can work and how much time it will leave you up top before have to come down.

Yes, Wengen will be a little quiet after dinner but wandering the town is nice or you may be too tired after your day trips to worry about it too much 😉

Yes, all cable cars to the Schilthorn depart from the town of Mürren, so you will be stopping there. Read about how to get to Schilthorn here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2017 at 5:36:08 #864719

I see. I think I shall keep Schynige Platte as a back-up plan, just in case if it gets cloudy up in Schilthorn.

I’ve read about ascending to Schilthorn. But I also read that one can get from to Stechelberg directly from Schilthorn, so I was wondering if the cable car does not stop at Murren on the way down. But I suppose if one were to ascend from Murren, one would be able to get down at Murren too.

Thanks for the info!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2017 at 2:36:54 #864720

>> But I also read that one can get from to Stechelberg directly from Schilthorn, so I was wondering if the cable car does not stop at Murren on the way down.

Hi Rayleigh,

You always have to change cable cars at Mürren.

The cable car to the Schilthorn is in 4 sections: Stechelberg to Gimmelwald, Gimmelwald to Mürren, Mürren to Birg and Birg to the Schilthorn. There is not one single cable car that goes all the way from Stechelberg to the Schilthorn.

Getting to the Schilthorn directly from Stechelberg just means that you walk a few paces to transfer from one cable car to the next on the way up. However, I think at Mürren you might sometimes have a bit of a wait. There will often be a queue for the cable car there already, because many people wanting to visit the Schilthorn will have arrived in Mürren on the cable car-train combination from Lauterbrunnen via Grütschalp.

There is a diagram of the cable car route here:

schilthorn.ch/en/Info/ Schilthorn_Live/daten/ karten/schilthorn_somm er.jpg

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Day trip to Mt Titlis from Wengen. Practical?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.