Multifaceted trip – need train advice

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2015 at 4:42:10 #807655

Hi – I have my itinerary planned for next week for my trip to Switzerland and Italy and I am having so much trouble figuring out what train passes to purchase. I would opt for convenience over discounts, but if I can achieve both that would be great.My trip starts with flying into Zurich and I am staying in Wengen. I plan to stay in wengen for 4-5 days and do day hikes, returning to wengen each night. I am guessing that the day hikes will involve a return trip by train back to wengen. I would prefer not to worry about buying tickets for each leg and would like to have an open pass to jump on any train without having to reserve or buy tickets for each trip. Here’s my itinerary – what do you suggest?1) Zurich to wengen on day 1. Do I need to reserve seats on a specific train?2) days 2-5, wengen hiking day trips, return to wengen3) wengen to Milan, IT – day 6Again, the best option would be a single all inclusive pass for all of the above. Thanks so much!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    30 July 2015 at 8:17:20 #844865

Hello weissmand!

The Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi is a good match for your plans. It allows for a free trip from Zurich Airport to Wengen, and from Wengen to the Swiss/Italian border on your way to Milan. This means that the leg Wengen-Domdossola is covered, and that you need an additional regular ticket from Domodossola to Milan. Trips during your stay in Wengen are discounted by 50%.

This does option does require you to buy discounted tickets for each trip made from Wengen. If you want to avoid that, you could look into combining a regular Swiss Transfer Ticket for Zurich Airport-Wengen and Wengen-Domodossola with a regional pass, like 4 day Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland. Quite some transportation in the Wengen area and the larger Bernese Oberland region is covered by this pass, allowing you to board trains without buying tickets in advance. However, for some viewing points you’ll still need additional discounted tickets.

Does this help you choose?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2015 at 14:55:45 #844866

Hi Annika,

Thanks for your fast reply! A few more questions regarding the Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi

1. With the Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi – can you reserve seats in advance for the zurich-wengen and wengen-Domodossola? I will have my bags and will have just flown from Los Angeles, so it would feel more comfortable with a reserved seat
    2. what class can we ride with this type of ticket?
    3. where do I buy the Domodossola-Milan ticket, in switzerland, on the train, or at the Domodossola station?

Thanks,

David

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2015 at 15:35:43 #844867

Sorry, one more question

4) I am leaving next week and the swiss combi pass looks like it cannot be printed online and I wont have enough time to get in the mail. Does that change our options?

thanks

Annika
    7104 posts
    30 July 2015 at 16:26:05 #844868

Hi David!

If you’re leaving next week, it’s indeed a bit late to arrange for your rail pass and have it sent to your home address in time. The Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi is not for sale in Switzerland and has to be ordered in advance. Most resellers don’t offer this pass as an e-ticket yet, but you can order it through Swissrailways and collect it at Zurich Airport. That’s your best option. They also ship to the United States within 5 days, but I don’t know if that’s quick enough for you. You can either order a 1st class Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi or a 2nd class variant. That determines in which class you can travel.

Seats for Zurich to Wengen don’t have to be reserved, and it’s not even possible for the last leg to Wengen. If you want to do so, you can make reservations as far as Bern or Interlaken Ost (depending on your exact connection). Most international trains crossing the Swiss-Italian border do require seat reservations. More information about this is at http://www.myswissalps .com/train/reservation s.

You can pre-order your tickets Domodossola-Milan through the link I gave you in my previous post: http://www.myswissalps .com/traintickets/ital y. Just click the ‘Price’ section to see the options. Alternatively, you can arrange for your ticket at any manned Swiss railway station before boarding.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 July 2015 at 23:37:22 #844869

Don’t worry about reserving seats within Switzerland, unless you have very large group.You absolutely do not need them.

How many people in your party?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2015 at 23:55:57 #844870

Just me and my wife. Only concerned that we will have flown from Los Angeles and will have our bags. We’ll want to sit down! Do you think we’ll easily find seats?

Also, do we have to buy tickets for a specific train time or a ticket will work on any train on that given route?

thanks!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 July 2015 at 0:32:44 #844871

<<“Just me and my wife. Only concerned that we will have flown from LosAngeles and will have our bags. We’ll want to sit down! Do you thinkwe’ll easily find seats?Also, do we have to buy tickets for a specific train time or a ticket will work on any train on that given route?”>>

You’ll find seats. Easily. If you want quiet, comfort and napping , you might consider first class for the first day’s jourmey.

Tickets can be purchased for that day or for any future date. Good for all day.

For occupancy, use the tools provided by the SBB. See:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Once you have selected a route and a train, you can see expected occupancy rates.

For your day trips around Wengen, use the SBB timetable plus the maps at –

map.classic.search.ch/

click on traffic,

or

map.geo.admin.ch/?X=164015.34&Y=641659.8 3&zoom=5&lang=en&topic =ech&bgLayer=ch.swisst opo.pixelkarte-farbe&layers_opacity=0 .65,0.65

or both.

You may be sueprised about what transport you do or do not need for returns.

• The thread ‘Multifaceted trip – need train advice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.