Multiple questions about Swiss Rail travel

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2014 at 4:29:51 #806572

Multiple questions about Swiss rail travel. Any answers/opinions welcome!

1. Leaving New Zealand in 11 days. Can you print Swiss Rail Pass if it is sent online? Or does it need to be posted (not enough time to post)?

2. Arrive in Switzerland at Geneva Airport. Rail travel starts here. If Rail pass can not be downloaded before leaving can we purchase at Geneva Airport? More expensive than online?

3. Dates of rail travel August 28, 31and September 2 (plus September 1 if we do Jungfraujoch – weather dependant) So do we purchase 3 or 4 day pass? Definite 3 days and possible 4th.

4. Final travel day is Grindelwald, Switzerland, to Milan, Italy. Is Swiss Rail Pass valid for travel to a different country?

5. Should I buy a Swiss Rail Pass or a Swiss Flexi Rail Pass?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 August 2014 at 7:04:12 #840823

Hi Nick, welcome to MySwissAlps,

A Swiss Flexi Pass seems to be the best fit for you. All you need to know can be found on the pass page: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issflexipass

1./2. You can buy online or in Switzerland, but as you can see here, you will only get a discount if you buy online. All points of sale are listed here. If you buy through http://www.raileurope.co.nz/p ass/swiss-pass you can get the discount, pay in NZD, and have it delivered in 5 days.

3./5. A 3-day Swiss Flexi Pass is best, assuming you will only do short trips on the other days. On those days you can purchase discounted tickets.

4. It is valid until Domodossola in Italy. You can download the map here for details.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2014 at 9:32:02 #840824

Many thanks Arno. Additional questions:

1. Not sure I want to risk the stated 5 day ticket delivery to NZ. A lot of money to spend if tickets don’t arrive before our departure. Can you purchase online, get a confirmation number, and fulfil at Geneva airport train station?

2. Swiss Flexi Pass – how do I specify this pass? Through your suggested link only Swiss Pass option.

3. How do I keep flexibility in the days I wish to travel. Know for certain the start date of travel but may need flexibility on other three days of travel (but within 5 days of the start date)

Thanks so much for your anticipated reply. Very Very helpful to our planning.

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 August 2014 at 10:10:03 #840825

Hi Nick,

I am glad to help! As for your questions:

1. There’s not really a risk as they have an office in Auckland, so it’s just a domestic shipment within New Zealand. If you prefer to have the ticket ready for you at the Geneva airport train station, then order through the Swiss Railways webshop at http://www.swissrailways.com/ en/products/swissflexi pass (the mentioned discount does not apply here, just regular Swiss prices).

2. If you pick the validity “3 days / 1 month” you will receive a 3-day Swiss Flexi Pass.

3. You don’t need to pick the dates when you buy the pass. You can fill them out while in Switzerland, in designated areas on the pass.

• The thread ‘Multiple questions about Swiss Rail travel’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.