Must see places and travel pass option

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2016 at 15:17:17 #809272

Hi there

We are a family of 3 adults and two children. Planning to travel in july from India to Zurich. Cud u help me with the must see places in Switzerland and the kind of travel pass we have to buy. We are planning to stay for 7 days.

Also what kind of clothing is recommended while visiting Jungfrau in july .

Warm regards

Geeta

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    21 May 2016 at 15:35:22 #852347

Hi Geeta, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Lucerne is a good town for first timers, but there are many other options and I would not suggest Lucerne to be a “must”. Please have a look at the Lucerne page and see if you like it. Also check the “What to do” option in the top menu to see which activities interest you, and the “How to plan” section. Feel free to post your itinerary here for feedback. Once your plans are final you can look into rail passes that fit your plans.

You’ve posted in the Trip Report forum, so I moved it to Miscellaneous. You’re welcome in the Trip Reports forum once you’ve returned and want to tell others about your experiences.

I hope this gets you started!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 May 2016 at 18:58:11 #852348

Hi Geeta-

Arno has certainly pointed yo in the right direction.

Luzern ( I use the German spelling, since it is in the German-speaking region, and that is what you will see on the signs in that area) is a good place to start.

It has a diverse mix of activities and types of scenery and sights, all nearby.

Another advantage – Luzern is close enough to the airport in Zürich that it is a convenient place to stay immediately after your arrival, or even on the night before you fly home, depending on your flight time.

From the airport to Luzern, there are two trains per hour that go the shortest route – through Zürich main station. One goes all the way to Luzern, the other requires a change of trains in Zürich.

The timetable –

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

and a map –

map.search.ch/?x=37400m&y=38544m&z=4

can help you think about where you might want to go and how long it will take to get there.

Please read about using the timetable in the link that I provided above.

We can better advise you if you give us an idea of your interests. For example, some people go to Switzerland for the specific purpose of riding as many of the various trains as they possibly can. Other like to hike…in the mountains or in the countryside. World class art museums?

Unless riding all the trains that you can is your objective, I’d suggest that you might want to use no more than two bases during your stay, to avoid spending a lot of time getting in and out of hotels.

I have attached a few of my favorite pictures from my trips to Switzerland over the years, and a screen grab from the timetable to show those trains, in July. In the timetable, clicking on the “+” beside each journey will expand the details.

(Ooops – the screen grab I posted shows the trains from Zürich main station.

I’ll add another one from the airport).

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2016 at 20:19:23 #852349

Thank you arno and slowpoke for your inputs. Well we will be arriving in zurich at noon from India on 27 july and will be staying at zurich. So keeping zurich as base can we get on some of the scenic trains or will it be tedious travelling with kids. Can a day trip be done having zurich as base to luzerne and interlaken.. we want to visit at least one peak and travel on one scenic train if not all

We will be in zurich for 6 nights.

Would be grateful if you could help us put with a comfortble itnerary which both kids and adults can enjoy during our stay in switzerland.

Thank you

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 June 2016 at 21:01:11 #852350

Hi Geeta76-

Zürich has excellent rail connections to all of Switzerland. However, it is remote from the most scenic train rides, so it will require extra time to get to them. You can understand that better from the timetable and the map that I have linked to in this post.

Please use the timetable, that I linked to above. I also provided a screen capture for you to see what it looks like. That will tell you how long it will take to reach various destinations from Zürich.

From Zürich, attractions near Luzern are within easy reach, and they include some nice train rides up to the Rigi, or Pilatus, for example. Please look at the link that Arno provided.

Interlaken has very few tourist attractions.

You would want to go further south into the Lauterbrunnen Valley at a minimum.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

The train from Zürich to, for example, Wengen, takes 2 hours and 49 minutes and runs every 30 minutes during the day. That gets you to some spectacular scenery, but you really ought to go further, to Kleine Scheidegg, for example.

map.search.ch/?x=-22672m&y=-28032m&z=32

Here are some scenic trains:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/scenictrips/t rain

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Must see places and travel pass option’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.