My First Switzerland Trip in June

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2011 at 1:09:18 #804382

Hello! After doing a lot of homework, I’ve finally decided on the following itinerary:

6/21: Geneva –> Bern –> Zurich –> Engelberg
    6/22: Engelberg –> Titlis –> Gerschnialp –> Engelberg (Trotti Bike)
    6/23: Engelberg –> Luzern –> Rigi Kulm –> Interlaken West
    6/24: Interlaken West –> Lauterbrunnen –> Wengen –> Klein Scheidegg –> Jungfrau –> Grindelwald –> Interlaken
    6/25: Interlaken West –> Luzern (Golden Pass) –> Andermatt –> Zermatt (Glacier Express)
    6/26: Zermatt –> Matterhorn Glacier Paradise –> Zermatt –> Brig –> Spiez (Lotschberger RegioExpress) –> Geneva
    6/27-7/1: Work
    7/2: Geneva –> Lausanne –> Chateux de Chillon –> Montreux –> Spiez (Golden Pass) –> Geneva
    7/3: Geneva

I’d appreciate it if you could help me with the following questions (sorry there are so many):

1) Does it make sense to buy the Swiss Flexi Pass for 5 days – 6/21, 6/23, 6/25, 6/26, 7/3 – since I can still get 50% discount off the trips on 6/22 and 6/24 (25% off for the Jungfrau segment) with the Flexi Pass?

2) In Bern, is 3 hours enough to visit the Bear Park and Rose Garden? Is it advisable to walk, bike or take the bus to these 2 places? Perhaps we should talk to the Bear Park and Rose Garden, and then take the bus back?

3) In Titlis:
    a. Does the Swiss Pass give me a 50% discount on the Ice Flyer?
    b. Are the Glacier Park and Glacier Cave free of charge?
    c. How long does it take to go from Engelberg to Mount Titlis?
    d. The Titlis website says that reservation is necessary for the Trotti Bike, but I don’t want to commit myself to the trip yet. Is it possible to rent the Trotti Bike without reservation?
    e. If the weather is bad that day, what other alternatives do I have without using a free travel day on my Flexi Pass?

4) In Engelberg, what are some activities to do after I get back from Titlis in the afternoon (since it doesn’t get dark outside until 9pm)?

5) From Interlaken to Jungfrau, should I buy tickets for all segments of the trip at Interlaken West, or should I wait until I get to Klein Scheidegg to check the Jungfrau weather conditions before deciding whether to go up or not?

6) In Interlaken, what are some activities to do after I get back from Jungfrau in the afternoon?

7) From Interlaken OST to Luzern, the Golden Pass train at 10:04 is a bit late and the 7:04 one is a bit early. When I search on SBB, I found one that departs at 9:04 that doesn’t go through Bern or Olten. What’s the difference between this 9:04 normal train and the 10:04 Golden Pass one if they go through the same route – is it just the windows?

8) Is it worth it to take the Glacier Express only from Andermatt to Zermatt?

9) In Zermatt:
    a. Since I’m already going to the Glacier Park at Titlis and the Ice Palace at Jungfrau, should I still go to the Glacier Park at Matterhorn Glacier Paradise?
    b. On the Zermatt Glacier Palace webpage, it says: “Adventurers and daredevils can return by walking through a glacier crevasse.” Is this a really tough walk? Do you advise against doing it if we’re wearing runners?

10) Any other tips or advice?

Thanks very much in advance and looking forward to your reply!

Karen

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 June 2011 at 3:59:27 #833128

Hi Karen!

I’ll answer the questions I know an answer to below:

1) Yes, it does, if you mean 7/2 instead of 7/3.

2) Both are close together. I would walk as that allows you to see a bit more of the town. Then take a bus back, or walk another route (e.g. along the river instead of across the old town). There’s a map here.

3) a. No
    b. Yes
    c. About 30 minutes I think (valley station to the summit)
    e. A boat ride on Lake Lucerne or a visit to the Swiss Transport Musuem in Lucerne and/or the Glacier Museum.

5) If you buy a ticket for the whole trip you can change trains quickly, but if you’re in doubt about the weather it might indeed be a good idea to decide once you’re up at Kleine Scheidegg.

6) I always like to watch the paragliders come down at the big field between Interlaken Ost and Interlaken West (if the weather allows paragliding). Or a boat ride at one of the lakes (e.g. to Spiez or Brienz) and return by train.

7) You have to fill out that you want to travel via Meiringen. Otherwise you get some other routes as well, like via Olten. There’s a train about every hour. You don’t have to travel with the official Golden Pass train.

8) Yes, it is, even though you’ll miss out on the Oberalp Pass just outside Andermatt. The section you selected is still beautiful.

9) a. I would prefer a visit to the Gornergrat if you have already been to two “similar” places.
    b. I don’t know that section. I suppose if it’s open to tourists it can’t be that difficult. Although normally, you want to avoid glaciers without the right equipment and a guide.

10) It sounds like a well worked out plan! Check your purchase options for the Swiss Flexi Pass here. It’s probably cheaper to buy online than wait until you’re in Switzerland.

Enjoy your stay!

• The thread ‘My First Switzerland Trip in June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.