My Swiss itinerary. HELP! Basel/Geneva/Bern???

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 November 2013 at 6:17:06 #806200

Hi all,
    I’m planning a trip to Europe next spring (end of April/early May) and will visit Switzerland around 3-4 days.
    Here are my route plans:

PLAN A
    Day 1: BRUSSELS (flight)-GENEVA-LUCERNE
    Day 2: LUCERNE (Lake Brienz)-INTERLAKEN-LAUTERBRUNNEN
    Day 3: LAUTERBRUNNEN (sightseeing LAUTERBRUNNEN-WENGEN-MURREN)
    Day 4: LAUTERBRUNNEN-INTERLAKEN (transit)-BERN/BASEL (choose either one)-PARIS

PLAN B

Day 1: BRUSSELS (flight)-GENEVA-LUCERNE (Lake Brienz)-INTERLAKEN-LAUTERBRUNNEN
    Day 2: LAUTERBRUNNEN (sightseeing LAUTERBRUNNEN-WENGEN-MURREN)
    Day 3: LAUTERBRUNNEN-INTERLAKEN (transit)-BERN/BASEL (choose either one)-PARIS

PLAN C
    Day 1: BRUSSELS (flight)-GENEVA-INTERLAKEN-LAUTERBRUNNEN
    DAY 3: LAUTERBRUNNEN-INTERLAKEN (Lake Brienz)-LUCERNE-BERN/BASEL (choose either one)-PARIS

PLAN D
    Day 1: BRUSSELS (flight)-BASEL-LUCERNE (Lake Brienz)-INTERLAKEN-LAUTERBRUNNEN
    Day 3: LAUTERBRUNNEN-INTERLAKEN (transit)-BERN/GENEVA (choose either one)-PARIS

*The one that I mark *choose either one* is because time is limited so I might cannot visit both places

1) Which plan do you think the best and why?
    2) Between Geneva and Basel, which one is worth-visiting and why?
    3) Between Bern and Basel, which one should I pay a visit and why?
    4) Between Geneva and Bern, which one would you recommend for a visit and why?
    5) Do comments on my itinerary. Advice and ideas are much appreciated as this is my first visit to Switzerland.

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    11 November 2013 at 15:05:21 #839334

Hi syuonthedot. If you manage, a 4 day trip would be nicer than a 3 day variant, simply as it provides more time for sightseeing. Since time is limited in all of your options, I’d advise not to include Geneva, as that requires quite some traveling time to the Lucerne and Interlaken regions that seem to be your main focus. You’d better enter and depart from Zurich and/or Basel. If you like a city visit, I think Bern would be more appealing than Basel. But as Arno already mentioned in your previous topic: if weather is good, you may want to spend as much time as possible exploring the mountains instead of towns.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 November 2013 at 22:42:05 #839335

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply.

However, I’ve changed my route plan and narrow down to two choices. as per below.

PLAN A
    Day 1: PARIS (train)-BERN (choose either one)-INTERLAKEN-LAUTERBRUNNEN
    Day 2: LAUTERBRUNNEN
    Day 3: LAUTERBRUNNEN-INTERLAKEN (Lake Brienz)-LUCERNE (Chapal Bridge, Lion Monument, Lake Brienz)-BASEL-MANCHESTER (flight: 5pm)

PLAN B
    Day 1: PARIS (train)-BASEL (transit only if time is limited)-LUCERNE (Chapal Bridge, Lion Monument, Lake Brienz)-INTERLAKEN-LAUTERBRUNNEN
    Day 2: LAUTERBRUNNEN
    Day 3: LAUTERBRUNNEN-INTERLAKEN-GENEVA-LIVERPOOL (flight: 5pm)

I have checked with Easyjet and found that there is flight BASEL-MANCHESTER and GENEVA-LIVERPOOL. I would love to visit Swiss around 4 days or more but time is limited as I’ll be visiting other parts of Europe to.

1) Which plan do you think the best and why?
    2) Between Day 3 (PLAN A) and Day 1 (PLAN B), which one is pack and time is limited?

Thank you very much for your help and advice.

Annika
    7103 posts
    13 November 2013 at 15:33:59 #839336

Hi again! In that case I guess plan A is a bit better, since it doesn’t involve a long rail trip to Geneva. I don’t quite understand your second question.

• The thread ‘My Swiss itinerary. HELP! Basel/Geneva/Bern???’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.