My Swiss itinerary. HELP! Basel/Geneva/Bern???

My Swiss itinerary. HELP! Basel/Geneva/Bern???

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
syuonthedot
syuonthedot
5 posts
Nov 9, 2013 - 7:17 AM
Hi all,
I'm planning a trip to Europe next spring (end of April/early May) and will visit Switzerland around 3-4 days.
Here are my route plans:

PLAN A
Day 1: BRUSSELS (flight)-GENEVA-LUCERNE
Day 2: LUCERNE (Lake Brienz)-INTERLAKEN-LAUTERBRUNNEN
Day 3: LAUTERBRUNNEN (sightseeing LAUTERBRUNNEN-WENGEN-MURREN)
Day 4: LAUTERBRUNNEN-INTERLAKEN (transit)-BERN/BASEL (choose either one)-PARIS

PLAN B

Day 1: BRUSSELS (flight)-GENEVA-LUCERNE (Lake Brienz)-INTERLAKEN-LAUTERBRUNNEN
Day 2: LAUTERBRUNNEN (sightseeing LAUTERBRUNNEN-WENGEN-MURREN)
Day 3: LAUTERBRUNNEN-INTERLAKEN (transit)-BERN/BASEL (choose either one)-PARIS

PLAN C
Day 1: BRUSSELS (flight)-GENEVA-INTERLAKEN-LAUTERBRUNNEN
DAY 3: LAUTERBRUNNEN-INTERLAKEN (Lake Brienz)-LUCERNE-BERN/BASEL (choose either one)-PARIS

PLAN D
Day 1: BRUSSELS (flight)-BASEL-LUCERNE (Lake Brienz)-INTERLAKEN-LAUTERBRUNNEN
Day 3: LAUTERBRUNNEN-INTERLAKEN (transit)-BERN/GENEVA (choose either one)-PARIS

*The one that I mark *choose either one* is because time is limited so I might cannot visit both places

1) Which plan do you think the best and why?
2) Between Geneva and Basel, which one is worth-visiting and why?
3) Between Bern and Basel, which one should I pay a visit and why?
4) Between Geneva and Bern, which one would you recommend for a visit and why?
5) Do comments on my itinerary. Advice and ideas are much appreciated as this is my first visit to Switzerland.

Thank you.
Annika
Annika
4415 posts
expert &
Nov 11, 2013 - 3:05 PM
Hi syuonthedot. If you manage, a 4 day trip would be nicer than a 3 day variant, simply as it provides more time for sightseeing. Since time is limited in all of your options, I'd advise not to include Geneva, as that requires quite some traveling time to the Lucerne and Interlaken regions that seem to be your main focus. You'd better enter and depart from Zurich and/or Basel. If you like a city visit, I think Bern would be more appealing than Basel. But as Arno already mentioned in your previous topic: if weather is good, you may want to spend as much time as possible exploring the mountains instead of towns.
syuonthedot
syuonthedot
5 posts
Nov 11, 2013 - 10:42 PM
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.

However, I've changed my route plan and narrow down to two choices. as per below.

PLAN A
Day 1: PARIS (train)-BERN (choose either one)-INTERLAKEN-LAUTERBRUNNEN
Day 2: LAUTERBRUNNEN
Day 3: LAUTERBRUNNEN-INTERLAKEN (Lake Brienz)-LUCERNE (Chapal Bridge, Lion Monument, Lake Brienz)-BASEL-MANCHESTER (flight: 5pm)

PLAN B
Day 1: PARIS (train)-BASEL (transit only if time is limited)-LUCERNE (Chapal Bridge, Lion Monument, Lake Brienz)-INTERLAKEN-LAUTERBRUNNEN
Day 2: LAUTERBRUNNEN
Day 3: LAUTERBRUNNEN-INTERLAKEN-GENEVA-LIVERPOOL (flight: 5pm)

I have checked with Easyjet and found that there is flight BASEL-MANCHESTER and GENEVA-LIVERPOOL. I would love to visit Swiss around 4 days or more but time is limited as I'll be visiting other parts of Europe to.

1) Which plan do you think the best and why?
2) Between Day 3 (PLAN A) and Day 1 (PLAN B), which one is pack and time is limited?

Thank you very much for your help and advice.
Annika
Annika
4415 posts
expert &
Nov 13, 2013 - 3:33 PM
Hi again! In that case I guess plan A is a bit better, since it doesn't involve a long rail trip to Geneva. I don't quite understand your second question.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016