My 7-10 day trip to Switzerland and nearby country

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 January 2016 at 9:24:48 #808235

Hello Everyone,

I’m new to this forum,

I am planning for a trip in September for nearly 7-10 days and with this I want to see most of Switzerland. Its mostly a leisure trip. Places that I have chalked out till now will be Zurich, Bern, Geneva. Also I would like to take a trip of the Bernina Express.

Further few questions that I need to clarify..

1. Is there a possibility to cover the above destinations in mere 7 days and 6 nights/ which are the places that I can touch ?
    2. I want to avail the Eurorail as well so which is the nearby country that I can travel for just a short trip for 2 days?

Thanks in advance,

Moumita

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15479 posts
    5 January 2016 at 12:47:50 #847504

Hi Moumita,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Yes, you can cover the Bernina Express and the 3 cities you mentioned in a week. However, are you sure you would like to focus your visit on cities? Zurich, Bern and Geneva are not in the famous Alps, which is the part of Switzerland most people like to see. Please see the “Where to go” section in the main menu for further suggestions.
    2. You probably mean Eurail, right? Eurail is a set of rail passes that cover one or more countries in Europe. It’s not a train or a train company. Having said that, you can absolutely do a side trip to either France, Germany, Austria or Italy. It totally depends on what you like to see. Don’t add another country just because you assume 7 days is enough to see all of Switzerland. You can spend weeks in Switzerland and not see the same thing twice. There’s plenty to do and see. You can look into suitable rail passes once you have an itinerary.

Please have a look at the below pages, I think they might be helpful:

Does this get you started?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2016 at 10:04:21 #847505

Hi Arno,

Thanks soo much for replying back.As you guessed I’m still on the early stage of planning everything as it is bit scattered.However I have made a certain customized chart of the places and attractions that I like to see.I’m mentioning them if anything goes wrong please help me to rectify,

• Day 1: Arrive in Zurich and visit the Rhine Falls.
    • Day 2 & 3: Lucerne. Will be visiting the Pilatus and Mt. Titlis. I this case I have a query that will it be possible to visit both in a day? As per the timings I have checked the distance isn’t much.Like to see the surrounding areas like Chapel Bridge,Lion Monument,Boat Trip on Lake Lucerne.
    • Day 4: Bern- Interlaken-from there Jungfranjouh & later boat ride in Lake Thun
    • Day 5: Zermatt- Gornergrat & a visit to Mittelallalin (depending upon the weather)
    • Day 6: Montreux-Rochers-de-Naye later Lake Geneva cruise (does it worth??) I’m not interested in visiting castles though.

We will be having another day left in our hand. Interested to go for a ride in the Glacier Express from Zermatt to St Motitz. Though have doubts as to from where I should take it. Can you guide me in that ?

Does it worth the view so much in the month of September ? Or else we can visit some small village area around ?

Also as per my trip itinerary Swiss Travel Pass will help ?

Approximately this much from Switzerland, kindly confirm for each single day covering the destinations are well enough. If I missed out on anything do suggest.Thanks.

Arno
    15479 posts
    7 January 2016 at 13:22:00 #847506

Hi Moumita,

You can visit Mount Pilatus and Titlis in one day if the weather is fine and if you don’t mind a long day. You could start with Mount Titlis, then back by train to Alpnachstad to take the cogwheel train up to Pilatus, and finally the cable car down to Lucerne.

Day 4 and 5 are very long too. Make sure to check all your trips in the timetable so you know what to expect in terms of traveling times. And, be flexible. September is a wonderful month on average, but if the peaks are in the clouds it’s useless to go up there, so you need to do something else.

I’m not sure where you would stay all nights, except for the two nights in Lucerne. Take into account that moving from town to town and changing hotels takes a lot of time too.

If you switch day 5 & 6 so you end up in Zermatt, you can take the Glacier Express from there.

A Swiss Travel Pass will definitely be very useful with this amount of traveling.

I’d advice to study the links and especially check the timetable. My first impression is that it’s too much for the number of days you have, but you if you don’t mind hectic days it’s all fine of course.

• The thread ‘My 7-10 day trip to Switzerland and nearby country’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.