Need a second opinion

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2011 at 18:13:50 #804305

My spouse & I are headed to Switzerland this summer & plan to spend a few days hiking the Alpine Trail. I’ve spent what seems like days researching the options for rail passes & while I *think* I’ve arrived at the best choice I would greatly appreciate a second (or third or fourth) opinion.

Day 1 Arrive in Zurich and travel to Lucerne
    Day 2 Travel by boat from Lucerne to Fleulen then travel onward to Attinghausen
    Day 3 Cable Car to Brusti then hike to Engelberg
    Day 4 Uplift to Jochpass then hike to Meiringen
    Day 5 Hike to First
    Day 6 Travel to Salzburg

My plan was to purchase the Swiss Card which would cover the trips on our first & last days and then provide 50% off travel on all other days. While we plan to hike, there’s always the possibility that injury or weather conditions might cause a change in itinerary.

From what I can tell the cost of the Swiss Card is only a few dollars cheaper if I wait and purchase in Switzerland so I was planning to buy it from RailEurope or Rick Steves before we depart unless there are other reasons why I should wait.

Any suggestions or clarification you can provide will be most appreciated!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 May 2011 at 2:16:35 #832867

Hi goinghiking, and welcome here! The Swiss Half Fare Card is actually a little bit cheaper. That’s caused by your relatively short inbound trip (Zurich airport – Lucerne). A Swiss Half Fare Card would allow you to purchase discounted tickets on your inbound and outbound trip (the Swiss leg) and your other trips. The Swiss Card is only slightly more expensive but does have the convienence that you don’t need to buy separate tickets for both the in/outbound trip.

The Swiss Card page shows you exactly what the costs are when purchasing locally or elsewhere (including shipping fees, etc). Fill out your requirements in the upper right corner and you’ll get your options. You can purchase there too.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2011 at 8:38:06 #832868

Thanks Amo!! I really appreciate your assistance. This website has been a tremendous help as I’m planning our adventure.

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 May 2011 at 12:35:15 #832869

Good to hear that! Please feel free to post your experiences in Switzerland once you’re back. We love to hear those stories. Have fun!

• The thread ‘Need a second opinion’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.