Need advice for Wengen itinerary

• Yvette17
    Participant
    19 posts
    28 May 2017 at 3:14:28 #812002

It will be our first time in Switzerland and we need advice for Wengen itinerary. There is so much to see and so little time , so I’m wondering if this plan is feasible —

We leave Luzern on July 5 by train, reaching Wengen about noon. From Wengen, Mannlichen-Kleine Scheidegg walk. Then back at Lauterbrunnen to take the walk to Stechelberg, enjoy Staubbach falls en route Is it possible to see Trummelbach falls as well ?

July 6– after breakfast at Wengen , go for a panoramic walk from Grutschalp to Murren , lunch in Murren. Then go up to the Schilthorn by cable car to the observation deck. Explore mid-station at Birg as well.

July 7 — we head to Montreux by train but we can do that at late afternoon so we can maximize our short time at Bernese Oberland region. So do you think it’s possible to visit Schynige Platte to enjoy the views in the morning , then head back to Wengen after lunch to pick up luggage and proceed to Montreux ?

Should we do the Schynige Platte on July 6th instead, and the Grutschalp-Murren-Schilthorn on the 7th?

I’m not sure if we should skip Schynige Platte altogether and just focus on the sites closer to our Wengen base. I’d appreciate any suggestions for the above. I’m a bit overwhelmed by all the possibilities as it is !

Thanks !

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Yvette17
    Participant
    19 posts
    28 May 2017 at 4:40:27 #864073

I forgot to say that an alternative I thought of for our last day is to take the train from the Lauterbrunnen to Zweilütschinen , with the Nature und Bahn trail to Wilderswil , have lunch after a walk in Wilderswil, see the village of Gsteigwil then head back to Wengen.

any thoughts on this ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2017 at 11:01:46 #864074

Hi Yvette,

Yes, all of your days look feasible while you are in Wengen. Schynige Platte sounds like a good idea to me as well. Have a look at our Wengen activities page to help you sort through these options and other in the area. Also have a look at the Swiss railways timetable so you can plan all your excursions to see if they work for you.

I’m sorry, I’m not familiar with the Nature und Bahn trail to Wilderswil but perhaps another member is.

Lucas

Annika
    7121 posts
    28 May 2017 at 13:49:05 #864075

Hi Yvette,

The trail from Zweilütschinen to Wilderswil is certainly enjoyable. It’s described here. If skies are clear I’d prefer Schynige Platte though, as you’ll have wonderful views of the Bernese Alps up there. If you leave early you’ll be able to visit the top before heading for Montreux. If you don’t spend hours at the top, there won’t be much different time wise with doing the Grütschalp-Mürren hike.

Yvette17
    Participant
    19 posts
    28 May 2017 at 14:35:05 #864076

Thank you Lucas and Annika! I’ve been reading all the information on this forum and it has helped a lot with this planning stage !

Yvette17
    Participant
    19 posts
    28 May 2017 at 23:13:20 #864077

Just realized that there are left luggage services at Wilderswil, so we could actually check out of our Wengen hotel in the morning and proceed to Wilderswil to go to Schynige Platte, then after the little excursion, proceed onward to Interlaken to connect to the trains towards Montreux. This is correct ?

Are the luggage lockers big enough for suitcases? Or do they have a manned counter ?

This stopover “breaks” the train travel to Montreux , so the remaining leg of the journey is only 3.5 hours via Zweisimmen /panoramic train .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 9:44:10 #864078

Sounds like a plan!

There is indeed a left luggage counter at Wilderswil – you can find more details on the Swiss Railways website here.

• The thread ‘Need advice for Wengen itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.