Need advise for 7 days in switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2014 at 8:10:14 #806322

Hello,

We (4 adults + 1 kid) are planning to visit Switzerland between 25th July and 2nd August this year. Following is what we had in mind.

Day 1: Arrive from Venice to Montreux by train (reach late night)

Day 2: Chateau de Chillon and lake promenade area. Can anything else be included on this day?

Day 3: Take the chocolate train from Montreux. Is it worth it?

Day 4: Travel from Montreux to Interlaken. Deciding between staying at Interlaken or one of the smaller towns near it. Please advice.

Day 5: Cover Jungfrau. I think this will take an entire day.

Day 6: Travel from Interlaken to Lucerne. Local Luzern sites and lake cruise.

Day 7: Visit Bern from Lucerne.

Day 8: Travel from Lucerne to Zurich. Visit near by places.

Day 9: Afternoon departure from Zurich

Is this itinerary okay? Or will it be too hectic?Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 April 2014 at 6:06:38 #839793

Hello deepab, thanks for posting!

Most of your plans look fine to me. I would personally not stay the night in Zurich but have an extra night in or around Interlaken or Lucerne. That’s where the mountains are, so with limited time I would prefer that over Zurich. You can leave Lucerne early morning on day 9, put your luggage in a locker in Zurich and see the town for a few hours.

Alternatives for Interlaken are Wengen, Mürren, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen and Wilderswil. All of them are smaller and more authentic than Interlaken. Wengen and Mürren are car free which is really nice. Interlaken offers the best train connections and has more shops, hotels and restaurants.

A day trip to Bern can be done from either Interlaken or Lucerne.

See the links for more information, including suggestions for to do’s and hotels. Rail passes can be found here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2014 at 18:01:46 #839794

Thanks for the suggestion. We have changed our plan to keep two days in Lucerne instead of Zurich 🙂

• The thread ‘Need advise for 7 days in switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.