Need advise on Passes for 6 day trip

• supernatjuice
    Participant
    10 posts
    26 July 2011 at 15:01:29 #804523

Hello There
    I am planning to stay total of 6 days in Swiss.

Day 1 – Lucerne
    Day 2 – Lucerne/Boat Cruise/Visit famous mountains near Lucerne
    Day 3 – Interlaken to visit Jungfrah region
    Day 4- Interlaken to visit Jungfrah region or if weather is bad, Visit Lake Lugano.
    Day 5 – Zurich
    Day 6 – Zurich/St Gallen

4 Adults travelling together

Question 1: Swiss Half pass VS Swiss card?
    Question 2: If I buy the card from online, don’t I have to specify what day Im going to use? I will be there on Sept 19th to sept 25th. So I want to buy a pass that would be good for those 6 days/nights.

Question 3: Lucerne to Lugano, is it recommended for 1 day trip? or is it too far?

Sorry about so many question asked.

Thank you and have a great day

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    27 July 2011 at 3:13:22 #833596

Hi Brian! Your itinerary seems to have changed a bit compared to the one you mentioned in this topic. However, differences are not that big and I still think a Swiss Half Fare Card would be best. When ordering your Swiss Half Fare Card online through STC, you’ll have to specify the start date of your pass. Just follow the steps in the order procedure and enter September 19 as your start date. From that day on, your pass will be valid during an entire month. You only need the first six days of your stay, but that’s no problem.

I’d say Interlaken-Lugano and back is too long for a day trip – I assume you mean Interlaken-Lugano and not Lucerne-Lugano, as you mention this plan for day 4 during your stay in Interlaken, right?. Lucerne-Lugano would be a better option, but still a bit too much for one day in my opinion. Traveling times can be found in the online timetable. A single trip Interlaken-Lugano takes at least 4 hours, so you won’t manage to visit Lugano and return the same day. If you want to visit the southern side of the country in case weather is better over there, consider a trip to Brig and its surroundings instead. Getting there takes about an hour from Interlaken. You could even manage to visit Zermatt or Saas-Fee and return the same afternoon or evening, although that would be a long day as well.

supernatjuice
    Participant
    10 posts
    27 July 2011 at 12:22:43 #833597

Hello Anika
    Yes, it changed a bit because of hotel booking. I was having hard time finding affordable hotels but now it is all solved, so thats my new plan haha.

I will definitely take your advice and purchase swiss half fare pass. That was my original plan but since there was some changes, I wanted to double check with you.

I meant to say Lucern to Lugano. I checked that timetable link and it shows it is about 2 hours trip. That is totally fine with me and my family. I am sure 2 hour train would give me beautiful views to get there anyway. I will enjoy every single second of it.

Thank you again for quick replies and have a great day Annika

Brian

Annika
    7116 posts
    27 July 2011 at 15:43:51 #833598

You’re welcome Brian. Have a great trip! I hope you and your family will enjoy your stay.

• The thread ‘Need advise on Passes for 6 day trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.