Need help- 4 days itinerary to Switzerland in July

• ongautam
    Participant
    4 posts
    16 May 2015 at 9:51:54 #807232

Hi Guys,

Looking for 4 days itinerary for my travel to Switzerland in July .15

As of now I’ve decide to check: The Jungfrau Region, Lake Geneva, Chateau de Chillon, Montreux, The Matterhorn, St Moritz, Mt. Pilatus. I am ready to add/delete places in order to have a smooth trip.

Kindly suggest.

Thanks

Gautam

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 May 2015 at 16:46:12 #843121

That will be tough to do in four days.

ongautam
    Participant
    4 posts
    17 May 2015 at 4:54:15 #843122

Hi

Thanks for your response

Could you suggest some places? I am not keen to visit cities & would like to have more of scenic tour.

Gautam

Annika
    7104 posts
    17 May 2015 at 8:03:12 #843123

Hi Gautam, and welcome to MySwissAlps. You’ve indeed selected too many activities for a 4 day stay and you will have to make choices. You could visit two or (at the most) three regions, and that’s only if you don’t mind making transfer journeys and staying in different hotels. Also, it matters what your entrance and exit points are (Zurich or Geneva for example)?

You may want to focus on two regions that are generally recommended to first time travelers: the Bernese Oberland/Jungfrau region and the Lake Lucerne region. Both offer more than enough to enjoy yourself for days, if not weeks. If Lake Geneva, Montreux and the Chillon Castle are very important to you, you could add a day over there, but that would result in quite a hectic schedule.

I think these tips on how to compose your itinerary may be of help. I hope this gets you started!

ongautam
    Participant
    4 posts
    22 May 2015 at 11:18:49 #843124

Dear Annika,

Sorry for the delayed response. I am planing to make an entry by landing at Zurich Airport & then would visit France, hence will exit from Geneva. As of now I’ve decided to land up in Zurich & visit Rhine Falls & then move to Interlaken & further to Bernese Oberland so I can then explore Jungfrau & Lucerne region – Here I’ve decided to stay for 2/3 days & then on the last day thinking to visit Lake Geneva & then exit.

Kindly advise..

Thanks.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 May 2015 at 13:21:52 #843125

Hi Ongautam-

Without doing a lot of study, it seems to me that the most geographically straightforward way to do wh you say you wish to do is to start in Zürich, visit the Rheinfalls if you wish, then go to Lucerne, spend an appropriate amount of time, then go to some part of the Berner Oberland south of Interlaken, and finish your trip by going from the berner Oberland to Montreux vis Spiez (the moderators recommend the Golden Pass route.) Then , from Montreux to Geneva and onward.

That way you will not make the trip between Lucerne and the B. O. twice.

Look at a map.

map.geo.admin.ch/?X=21 0000.00&Y=625500.00&zo om=1&lang=en&topic=swi sstopo&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe

Slowpoke​

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 May 2015 at 15:02:41 #843126

I agree with Slowpoke about the order of things. However, if you still have only 4 days for this, I would forget about Lucerne. Just travel to the Jungfrau region after your Rhine Fall visit on day 1 and do so via the Golden Pass route. Then spend a two days there and finalize your stay with one day in Montreux. And get back another time to see more 😉

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 May 2015 at 18:43:24 #843127

No disagreement for a 3 night stay. I don’t know if a 4 day stay means 3 nights…. if so, I’d skip Lucerne, too. Especially because of the interest in Lake Geneva.

With 4 nights, I’d try to include Lucerne. 1st night in Lucerne with a bit of afternoon sightseeing, Day 2 – early stater for B.O, stay 2 nights (nights 2 and 3) , 4th day train to Montreux stay in /near Montreux on 4th night , depart Geneva Day 5.

But, if that is too many days, Lucerne would have put off for next time.

I probably misunderstood the available time.

ongautam
    Participant
    4 posts
    22 May 2015 at 20:58:14 #843128

Agreed slowpoke & arno .. Could you help me with a rough itinerary for 4 nights & 5 days. Also would like to inform that for Geneva , I had decided to visit Lake Geneva & then exit to France. Let me know if that is wort, considering the time constraint??

Also i could see you both have mentioned Montreux, what does it have to offer??

Thanks

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 May 2015 at 1:00:49 #843129

<<“Also i could see you both have mentioned Montreux, what does it have to offer??”>>

The only reason that I mentioned Montreux is because you did, in your first post. I therefore assumed that you had decided to go there for your own reasons.

Look here –

http://www.myswissalps.com/mo ntreux

I have visited Montreux a few times, and, for my tastes (which may not be yours) it is not as good a city for tourists as Luzern. Everyone’s opinion may vary, and the Lake Geneva region is certainly attractive.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Need help- 4 days itinerary to Switzerland in July’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.