Need help for travelling to Jungfrau Region

• MMANDBB
    Participant
    17 posts
    8 June 2017 at 15:28:08 #812180

Hi,

Wife and I will be arriving in Zurich in the coming December at around 9:00 a.m. are planning to spend 4d3n to visit:

– Jungfrau (for sightseeing)

– Grindelward First (for sightseeing and to do First Cliff Walk)

– Schilthorn (for sightseeing)

As both of us are novice and puzzled, I would be glad if you would advise me:

(1) Which area should the hotel be based in, Wengen or Grindelward?

(2) Assuming the hotel be based in Wengen, then how should we prioritize our visits/plan our itinerary to:

– Schilthorn (for sightseeing)?

(3) About how long the travelling time from Wengen to each of the above place?

(4) About how long to be expected to spend in each of the above place?

(5) Could you explain to me step by step (in more detail) as to how to get to: Jungfrau from Wengen; Grindelward from Wengen and Schilthorn from Wengen?

(6) Conversely, assuming the hotel be based in Grindelward, then how should we prioritize our visits/plan our itinerary to:

(7) About how long the travelling time from Grindelward to each of the above place?

(8) Could you explain to me step by step (in more detail) as to how to get to: Jungfrau from Grindelward; First from Grindelward and Schilthorn from Grindelward?

(9) Which area/what’s the best place for doing paragliding?

(10) Which area/what’s the best place for doing toboggan?

(11) Do you have any recommendation of other places in the Jungfrau region that worth to explore and not to be missed?

(12) How much and are there any special/discount tickets for our above targeted places?

(13) Which type of the travel pass would be the most cost effective for us?

Thank you very much and your input and valuable feedback are much appreciated!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2017 at 0:53:18 #864737

Hi,

A lot of questions….. Do you have already look around on this site. Everything you ask is already written on this site. In the timetable you find all the travel schedules for Swiss trains.

Wengen and Grindelwald are both good for your plans. Wengen is closer to Schilthorn, Grindelwald is closer to First.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2017 at 7:00:06 #864738

Hi MMANDBB,

1. See Brahms post – either would work for you.
    2. Base your plans on mountain visits on the weather – if it is cloudy you won’t see much when you are up top!
    3. See Brahms post for the timetable link
    4. 2 to 3 hours if you aren’t planning on doing too many activities at the top
    5. We have web pages on how to get to Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn.
    6. See point 2 above – prioritize based on weather – all 3 places are simple to get to – see the timetable link to plan your trips.
    7. See point 3
    8. See point 5
    9. Interlaken is very popular – we list a paragliding company on the “what to do” in Interlaken page here.
    10. There are many toboggan areas in Switzerland – The Swiss tourism website lists the options here.
    11. Depending on how much time you have take a look at our recommendations here. Also perhaps you would enjoy a lake cruise on Lake Thun.
    12. I would look at the Swiss Travel pass for your planned itinerary – read more about it here.
    13. See above 🙂

Cheers,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2017 at 8:14:31 #864739

>> Wife and I will be arriving in Zurich in the coming December at around 9:00 a.m. are planning to spend 4d3n to visit:

When in December will you be there? I have a feeling the gondola to First will be closed for about a week in the second week of December, but can’t find information at the moment to confirm this. It will be clearer when the new timetable is released in mid-October.

>> Schilthorn (for sightseeing)

The cable car to the Schilthorn will be closed for maintenance from 13 November until 8 December, so hopefully you will be there after that.

>> Which type of the travel pass would be the most cost effective for us?

For a trip in December (if you are only staying in the Jungfrau Region) you could consider the Jungfrau Region Hiking and Sledging Pass in conjunction with point-to-point tickets to get to and from Interlaken Ost. It gives you unlimited free travel on the listed routes. If you get a pass for 3 days or more, you also get a 50% discount on the train from Eigergletscher to the Jungfraujoch, and from Mürren to the Schilthorn.

Jungfrau Region Hiking and Sledging Pass

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauhikingsledgingpa ss

I have attached a diagram of transport in the Jungfrau Region, which might help you to visualise how to get around there.

Alpenrose

MMANDBB
    Participant
    17 posts
    9 June 2017 at 9:23:57 #864740

Many thanks, Alpenrose666, for your kind advice!

When in December will you be there?

My answer: We’re planning to arrive at Zurich Airport (and then go straight to the Jungfrau Region) on 17 December for 4 days/3 nights until 20 December, with the flexibility to extend for 1 more day/night at most.

>> Which type of the travel pass would be the most cost effective for us?

For a trip in December (if you are only staying in the Jungfrau Region) you could consider the Jungfrau Region Hiking and Sledging Pass in conjunction with point-to-point tickets to get to and from Interlaken Ost. It gives you unlimited free travel on the listed routes. If you get a pass for 3 days or more, you also get a 50% discount on the train from Eigergletscher to the Jungfraujoch, and from Mürren to the Schilthorn.

My answer: We’re planning to arrive at Zurich Airport (and then go straight to the Jungfrau Region) on 17 December for 4 days/3 nights until 20 December, with the flexibility to extend for 1 more day/night at most.

My questions:

– Are you suggesting us to buy “the Jungfrau Region Hiking and Sledging Pass in conjunction with point-to-point tickets to get to and from Interlaken Ost” instead of a “Swiss Travel Pass”? Are the costs of “point-to-point tickets” very high as they’re one-way tickets and not passes?

My new questions:

– If my hotel was based in either Wengen or Grindelward, would we still need to go to Interlaken on each and every occasion when we go to:

– First (for sightseeing and to do First Cliff Walk)

Can’t we go to the above places directly from either Wengen or Grindelward without going through Interlaken?

Please clarify, many thanks!

MMANDBB

MMANDBB
    Participant
    17 posts
    9 June 2017 at 9:42:26 #864741

Hi Aplenrose666

I have a feeling the gondola to First will be closed for about a week in the second week of December, but can’t find information at the moment to confirm this. It will be clearer when the new timetable is released in mid-October.

My question:

– If the gondola to First was closed, then what other option(s) would we have?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2017 at 10:09:44 #864742

>> Grindelward First (for sightseeing and to do First Cliff Walk)

We’re planning to arrive at Zurich Airport (and then go straight to the Jungfrau Region) on 17 December

That’s good – the First gondola should be operating then.

>> Are you suggesting us to buy “the Jungfrau Region Hiking and Sledging Pass in conjunction with point-to-point tickets to get to and from Interlaken Ost” instead of a “Swiss Travel Pass”?

Yes, it’s something to consider. To be absolutely sure, you will need to do your sums. Here are some comparisons between the two passes based on where you said you would be going.

Jungfraujoch (departing Grindelwald or Wengen)

> 25% discount from Grindelwald or Wengen to to the Jungfraujoch with the Swiss Travel Pass.

> Free travel to Eigergletscher, and 50% discount from Eigergletscher to the Jungfraujoch with the Jungfrau Region Hiking and Sledging Pass

First gondola

> 50% discount with the Swiss Travel Pass

> Free with the Jungfrau Region Hiking and Sledging Pass

Schilthorn

> The Swiss Travel Pass will give you free travel to Mürren and 50% discount from Mürren to the Schilthorn.

> The Jungfrau Region Hiking and Sledging Pass will give you the same.

Travelling between Grindelwald and Wengen via Kleine Scheidegg

> 25% discount with the Swiss Travel Pass

> Free with the Jungfrau Region Hiking and Sledging Pass

Cable car Wengen to Männlichen and gondola Männlichen to Grindelwald Grund

> 50% discount with Swiss Travel Pass

> Free with Jungfrau Region Hiking and Sledging Pass

>> Are the costs of “point-to-point tickets” very high as they’re one-way tickets and not passes?

You can use the Swiss Timetable, to which you have already been given links, to find out point-to-point ticket prices.

>> If my hotel was based in either Wengen or Grindelward, would we still need to go to Interlaken on each and every occasion when we go to:

– First (for sightseeing and to do First Cliff Walk)

No, please look at the diagram I attached to my last post. You can follow any of the red lines to get from one place to another.

>> Can’t we go to the above places directly from either Wengen or Grindelward without going through Interlaken?

Yes, there is no need to go through Interlaken. Please use the Swiss Timetable and look at the diagram I attached to see your options.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2017 at 10:11:05 #864743

>> – If the gondola to First was closed, then what other option(s) would we have?

None, but it should be open when you are there.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2017 at 18:02:54 #864744

Some travell routes:

– Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch

– Wengen to Lauterbrunnen to Grutsalp to Murren to Schilthorn

– Wengen to Lauterbrunnen to Zweilutschinen to Grindelwald to First

– Wengen to Mannlichen to Grindelwald Grund to Grindelwald to First

– Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch

– Grindelwald to Zweilutschinen to Lauterbrunnen to Grutsalp to Murren to Schilthorn

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2017 at 0:10:41 #864745

>> Can’t we go to the above places directly from either Wengen or Grindelward without going through Interlaken?

I think I’ve just realised why you are confused about the need to go through Interlaken when travelling within the Jungfrau Region.

When I said that you could consider the Jungfrau Region Hiking and Sledging Pass in conjunction with point-to-point tickets to get to and from Interlaken Ost, I meant that you could use the Jungfrau Region Hiking and Sledging Pass for your travel within the Jungfrau Region, and the point-to-point tickets between Zürich and Interlaken Ost on your days of arrival and departure (because the Jungfrau Region Hiking and Sledging Pass is only valid once you reach Interlaken Ost from Zürich).

Although on your day of departure, your point-to-point ticket would be from your place of accommodation to Zürich, as it would not make sense to use the Jungfrau Region Hiking and Sledging Pass for the short trip to Interlaken Ost on the final day if you are not doing any other travel in the Jungfrau Region on that day.

Alpenrose

MMANDBB
    Participant
    17 posts
    12 June 2017 at 14:59:15 #864746

Thanks Alpenrose666.

Could you please clarify your statement:

“When I said that you could consider the Jungfrau Region Hiking and Sledging Pass in conjunction with point-to-point tickets to get to and from Interlaken Ost…..”

I just want to make sure that your said “point-to-point” is a one-way ticket and not that on the SBB’s website “point-to-point pass”, right?

If I choose to purchase the Jungfrau Region Hiking and Sledging Pass with the point-to-point (which is an one-way ticket, I assume), then is my understanding correct that when we arrive in Zurich we’ll need to purchase an one-way ticket from Zurich to Interlaken Ost AND the Jungfrau Region Hiking and Sledging Pass so the rest of the journey from Interlaken Ost to Wengen and/or Grindleward will be both covered, right? On our departure day, we’ll need to purchase another point-to-point ticket (ie another one-way ticket) from Wengen or Grindleward to Zurich, right?

If this is the case, the Jungfrau Region Hiking and Sledging Pass needs to be purchased before we arrive in the Jungfrau Region. Where can we get that in advance? Can we get that in the Zurich Airport?

Is there any ticket office in Wengen/Grindleward where we can purchase an one-way ticket back to Zurich?

Please advise, thanks!

MMANDBB

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2017 at 23:02:30 #864747

Yes , Grindelwald and also Wengen have a ticket office for your ticket to Zurich airport.

You can buy the Jungfrau Region Hiking and Sledging Pass at Interlaken Ost Station, you have 30 minutes befor the train leave from Interlaken Ost to Wengen or Grindelwald. You must change trains also in Interlaken Ost.

Greetings from the Netherlands, Brahms

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2017 at 4:30:34 #864748

>> I just want to make sure that your said “point-to-point” is a one-way ticket and not that on the SBB’s website “point-to-point pass”, right?

Yes, I definitely meant a one-way ticket.

>> If I choose to purchase the Jungfrau Region Hiking and Sledging Pass with the point-to-point … then is my understanding correct that when we arrive in Zurich we’ll need to purchase an one-way ticket from Zurich to Interlaken Ost

Yes, Interlaken Ost or to the town you will be staying in. You will need to choose for what days you want your Jungfrau Region Hiking and Sledging Pass to be valid – either from your arrival day or the next day.

If you will be arriving in the Jungfrau Region early enough to head out for sightseeing using the train or cable cars on your day of arrival, buy a Jungfrau Region Hiking and Sledging Pass valid from your day of arrival. Then you would just need a ticket from Zürich to Interlaken Ost.

If you will not be doing any further travel in the Jungfrau Region on your day of arrival, it probably would not be worth it to use the Jungfrau Region Hiking and Sledging Pass just to get from Interaken Ost to the town you are staying in.

When deciding whether or not you will include your day of arrival in the Jungfrau Region Hiking and Sledging Pass, or whether you will start it from the following day, keep in mind that you must buy a pass for 3 days or more in order to get the 50% discount on the train from Eigergletscher to the Jungfraujoch, and from Mürren to the Schilthorn.

>> On our departure day, we’ll need to purchase another point-to-point ticket (ie another one-way ticket) from Wengen or Grindleward to Zurich, right?

Yes.

>> If this is the case, the Jungfrau Region Hiking and Sledging Pass needs to be purchased before we arrive in the Jungfrau Region. Where can we get that in advance? Can we get that in the Zurich Airport?

Not at the airport, no. As Brahms mentioned, you can buy it at Interlaken Ost (or Grindelwald or Wengen).

Alpenrose

MMANDBB
    Participant
    17 posts
    14 June 2017 at 15:40:57 #864749

Thanks Alpenrose666

I have another thought: Instead of going back to Zurich (from Grindelwald/Wenge) and staying there for one night – just for the sole purpose of transit to Milano on the following day, (1) is there any train directly from Grindleward/Wengen to Milano Centrale; or (2) instead of staying in Milano just for the sole purpose of transit, is there any train directly from Grindeward/Wengen to Bolzano? If so, could you give me some information (in terms of cost; time; complexity; etc)?

Thanks

MMANDBB

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2017 at 16:51:53 #864750

Hi MMANDBB,

It really depends on 2 things:

1. whether you want to see Zurich or not or would rather stay in Grindelwald area for any extra night.
    2. Also it depends on what time you want or can leave Switzerland (either town) and what time you want or need to arrive in Bolzano.

You will have to decide what is the best option for you by using the Swiss railways timetable here.

Train duration and # of connections for each route depends on the date and time you want or need to travel. They can vary quite a bit!

Lucas

• The thread ‘Need help for travelling to Jungfrau Region’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.