Need help on planning a Glacier express trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2016 at 9:14:11 #809664

We (2 adults and 2 kids) are travelling from Interlaken west to Zermatt on 31July. I have a swiss travel pass.

Since we do not have time for doing the entire Glacier express route from Zermatt to St Moritz, I was planning to do part of the Glacier express journey while travelling from Interlaken to Zermatt.

1. Is it possible for me to travel from Interlaken west to Andermatt and board the glacier express from there to Zermatt?

When i look up the online time table on SBB website, it does not give me an option to do the above. It only allows me to travel from Interlaken west to Brig, then travel to Andermatt and come back from Andermatt to Zermatt.

Do you have any suggestion for how i can travel from Interlake west to Zermatt while doing a leg of the journey on the Glacier express

2. Also can i carry luggage on the Glacier express? I understand it is Panoramic express so wanted to check whether luggage can be stored aboard.

3. Finally wanted to understand if i do a round trip on the Glacier express from Brig to Andermatt and back, will i need to buy to seperate reservations?

Thanks a lot

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    13 July 2016 at 9:22:06 #854035

Hi Prem!

1. Your question about the options from Interlaken to Zermatt using the Glacier Express has just been answered in your previous topic.

2. Yes, as long as you can handle your luggage yourself you can carry it along on the Glacier Express.

3. Theoretically: yes, if you were to do both legs in an actual Glacier Express train you’d have to get separate seat reservations for both legs. But as explained in your other topic, there are ways to avoid this overlap, allowing to make reservations for Andermatt-Zermatt only.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2016 at 11:28:10 #854036

Annika

Thanks. Noticed your response on the other post later. Thanks again. I have asked a 2 follow on questions to your response on the other post. You have already answered one regrading the luggage. Would be great if you could give your feedback regarding the other as well.

• The thread ‘Need help on planning a Glacier express trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.