Need help to determing which Swiss pass to buy

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2015 at 19:47:24 #807373

Hello,

We are family of five, 2 adults, 3 teens. We will be flying into Zurich June 19 then immediately taking a train to Paris. From Paris we are flying to Rome and then taking a train back up through Italy to get back to Switzerland. We plan to spend two nights in the Bernese Oberland area, specifically Wengen or Murren. I have looked a lot of websites and am still having a hard time figuring out what rail pass to purchase. We will be taking a train from Milan to Wengen on June 28 and leaving Wengen by train on June 30 to return to Zurich. We have a reservation at a hotel near the airport there for June 30; we depart July 1 to return to the states.Would the Swiss pass be the best option? It shows a price of $488 E for three days. The train price from Milan to Wengen is showing $377 Swiss francs, and we would need to purchase tickets to go from Wengen back to Zurich, which is a similar price.

My question, though, is: We would need to purchase tickets from Milan to Switzerland that would not be covered by the Swiss pass. What city would we buy a point to point ticket to before the Swiss Pass takes effect? Are there other fees I am not aware of? Would we need to reserve any seats on the Swiss trains?Also, does the Swiss pass cover city trains in Zurich?

Thank you for your help,

Elizabeth

• The thread ‘Need help to determing which Swiss pass to buy’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.