Need help with Gotthard Panorama seat reservations

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2017 at 20:09:18 #811947

Hello! I’m having a GREAT deal of trouble booking seat reservations for the Gotthard Panorama. I have tried two different websites and it is terribly confusing. With the link provided here in another post (http://www.happyrail.com/en/p ass/europe/switzerland /panoramic-trains) it isn’t really confirming anything, plus says e-delivery is not applicable, and we are leaving Saturday for this trip! I’m SO confused at why this is so difficult. Please help!!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 2:13:56 #863755

Hi

I am also looking for the site for panoramic trains reservation.

I just found the below information on http://www.sbb.ch , but haven’t searched it yet.

You can book this panorama trip:

at SBB.chLink opens in new window. under “Reservations Switzerland”. For the supplement including seat reservations, enter the departure point (e.g. Lucerne Bahnhofquai), destination (e.g. Bellinzona) and your travel date. Continue as shown in menu navigation. Please note that a ticket is required in addition to the supplement. This can also be purchased at SBB.ch.

I hope it works for you.

Have a nice trip!

ProfRob
    Participant
    12 posts
    24 May 2017 at 2:40:12 #863756

Similar story. I went to book today and made the payment, but no confirmation or email yet. Strange – looks like the ‘new’ website is still having teething troubles.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 2:46:13 #863757

Update for others trying to book:

I called a toll free number I found (I think for Happy Rail?) for USA residents, and the rep was very helpful and explained that the tickets are not available as e-tickets, they have to mail them to you. Not enough time for us before our trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 3:05:05 #863758

I called SBB about buying Swiss Travel Pass because of ticket delivery time. The officer told me that I can buy the pass at Zurich Airport when I arrive there.

I wonder if you just bought Gotthard express or Swiss Travel Pass.

If you don’t get your ticket before your departure, you’d better to consult with SBB ticket counter at Zurich airport if you come to.

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 May 2017 at 13:10:09 #863759

Hi SouthernGirl,

Happyrail recently (2 weeks ago) confirmed to me that reservations through http://www.happyrail.com/en/p ass/europe/switzerland /panoramic-trains are e-tickets and should be received within one day. Are you 100% sure it was them you were talking to on the phone? Many other suppliers do not provide e-ticket reservations yet.

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 May 2017 at 13:13:52 #863760

Hi hyanggy88,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! The Swiss Travel Pass can be printed at home (recommend) or purchased from a staffed ticket counter. All options are listed here: myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 13:21:29 #863761

Yes, 100% sure. But this was for the Gotthard express seat reservations, not the Swiss Pass. I already purchased the Swiss pass and received that as an e-ticket .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 13:32:46 #863762

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your message.

Regarding Swiss Travel Pass, Can I purchase at Zurich Airport Train station? I want to buy it with cash.

I am confused about the ways for purchase. I will arrive at Zurich Airport on Jun4th night and will stay at the hotel which provides free shuttle bus near the airport.

I am going to buy Swiss Travel Pass next morning before I take a train to Lucerne.

Is it possible to buy Swiss Travel Pass at Zurich Airport train station which is SBB ticket counter?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 14:02:38 #863763

Hi hyanggy88,

Yes you can buy it at the SBB ticket office at Zurich airport and have it start the next day if you like.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 14:06:28 #863764

I would suggest not to do Gotthard Panorama train unless you really have a strong reason.

If you want to have flexibility of getting down and enjoy scenes do either of Golden Line Pass trains / Voralpen Express.

If you want to enjoy panoramic view trains; can do either of Glacier / Bernina.

Regards,

Vikram

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 14:44:44 #863765

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your message.

Myswissalps is the best web site I’ve ever experienced. I really appreciate your clear and detail informations that I have enjoyed to read.

Thank you !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 15:06:08 #863766

Happy to help!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 15:12:51 #863767

Vikram, curious what your reason is? Because our Swiss Pass expires the day before and it was going to be nearly $500 with seat reservations/overnight delivery, we are considering taking the tunnel train to Lugano instead. We are already taking the Golden Pass from Montreux to Lucerne earlier in the trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 15:27:23 #863768

These are the main reason why I’m asking to avoid this train

– Panorama coaches are only for 1st class and normal coaches for 2nd class

– Train travels super fast, you can’t enjoy scenery

– After travelling with Glacier and Bernina we had high hopes with this train as well but felt cheated.

Instead you can do “Voralpen Express” from Luzern till north end of Swiss. We felt center and north part is more beautiful than south part. May be you can skip travel to Lugano and instead do nature seeing through Voralpen Express.

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 May 2017 at 15:39:05 #863769

Hi Vikram,

I read about your thoughts in the other thread as well. I’d recommend to contact SBB through http://www.dml.sbb.ch/en/en/m eta/contact.html#formk undendienst and let them know about your experience. They operate this train and can make changes. Good luck!

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 May 2017 at 16:56:55 #863770

Hi SouthernGirl,

That’s weird! It is absolutely possible to get the reservation for the Gotthard Panorama Express as an e-ticket. One of their officials just confirmed that to me, and they also confirm it on their website: go to http://www.happyrail.com/en/p ass/europe/switzerland /panoramic-trains and click on “Delivery”. There’s a paragraph “New: e-tickets” there.

To book seats, pick the Gotthard Express from the dropdown list and proceed from there.

I’ll let them know that their helpdesk apparently does not know yet about this new option.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 18:56:31 #863771

Wow, no she definitely told me it was not an option, and it would be $50 for overnight delivery. I wonder if it is because I called the USA number?

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 May 2017 at 19:24:31 #863772

Happyrail says they do not have a toll free number. I think you called with a different company. Perhaps RailEurope.com. Anyway, the reservations can be printed at home if you’re interested, so no need for shipping.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2017 at 6:46:50 #863773

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your reply. But I had already contacted sbb and tourist office as well. They hardly bothered to reply back as there are millions of tourists who visit and fell into their trap.

During our visit, we did all the major train rides. In the Gothard Train there were hardly 15 people compared to other trains which were fully packed.

I’m just making sure other don’t get cheated like us.

Regards,

Vikram

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 May 2017 at 7:51:55 #863774

Hi Vikram,

Good to hear you contacted them too! The Gotthard Panorama Express is new as of 2017. Perhaps they will make changes in the coming years. The best thing to do here at MySwissAlps is to post a trip report about your trip to Switzerland, including the Gotthard Panorama Express. Then all your experiences are in one place and easy to find for others.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)
  • The thread ‘Need help with Gotthard Panorama seat reservations’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.