Need help with half fare card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 October 2016 at 16:07:15 #810291

Hi,

My family will be arriving in Switzerland on 3-mar-2017 7am and leaving on the morning on 11-Mar-2017.

We are planning to get the Swiss Half fare card, I would like to pre-book 2 of the journey,

1 – From Chur to Brig

2 – From Brig to Venice

Am I able to pre-book them online with the half fare card prices? How can I go about doing it.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    27 October 2016 at 17:25:52 #856813

Hi NomadGirl,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

1 – This trip does not need to be booked in advance. Tickets do not sell out, you can buy them on the spot. If you are planning to travel on the Glacier Express, you will need a seat reservation. Reservations do need to be booked in advance as seats can sell out on that particular train: myswissalps.com/ glacierexpress/tickets.

2 – Tickets to Italy do need to be booked in advance. You can do so through the SBB site and pick the Half-fare travel card when asked, or check if any of these sites offer better prices.

The Swiss Half Fare Card itself can be purchased through the SBB tourist shop at http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the card (no delivery fees), so you can print it at home. Whether you buy the card before or after you buy tickets does not matter, as long as you have both when you board the train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 October 2016 at 20:59:51 #856814

Hi Arno,

Thank you for the wonderful information you have provided.

It helps to clear most of my doubts. However, I have check that I am able to buy seat reservations now, but not the train tickets, if there a chance that seats might sell out even after I have bought the seat reservations?

Arno
    15481 posts
    28 October 2016 at 9:49:51 #856815

You’re most welcome! I’m not sure if I understand your question, but tickets can’t sell out. Only seat reservations can sell out. Please see myswissalps.com/ train/reservations/ howtouse.

• The thread ‘Need help with half fare card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.