Need info and assistance

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2012 at 23:31:04 #805276

Hi,

I’m organizing an EU tour around October (2012) for a family of 8-10 pax, all adults. Our group is interested to take the Bernina Express with panoramic view and I’d like to know if this train with panoramic view has daily trips from Tirano to St Moritz and what are the depart schedules?

Thanks in advance for your help.

pia

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    14 May 2012 at 6:00:05 #836145

Hello pia,

If you use the Bernina Express Timetable, you will probably get the answers you are looking for.

Have a nice trip,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2012 at 0:20:49 #836146

Thanks, Olga.

I just have a comment – The Bernina Express timetable for winter is not updated as of my last access yesterday ( our local time). Do you know when they usually update this?

pia

Annika
    7103 posts
    18 May 2012 at 11:26:23 #836147

Hello Pia! If you want to travel in late September or early October, this still counts as the summer timetable (valid up to October 21). You can find it here. Does that help you out?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2012 at 22:11:24 #836148

Dear Annika,

Thanks again for your reply.

Two persons will be travelling earlier and the summer schedule applies.

However, the bigger group of 8 persons will be travelling after October 21, 2012, hence the winter schedule will apply, which is the one I am looking for.

By the way, as soon as all our travel papers are finalized ( i.e. visa ), where can we buy Bernina Express tickets online? We want to do this to avoid hassle in buying tickets and also, we want to make sure we get the seats we want to get the maximum enjoyment of this most awaited scenic train ride.

Thanks for your assistance.

pia

Annika
    7103 posts
    21 May 2012 at 14:12:52 #836149

Hi pia. I’m not quite sure when the winter timetable will be displayed. You can best contact the Rhaetian Railways to ask for it. As for your tickets: the seat reservation page provides information and purchase links for the Bernina Express. By the way, will you be using one of the Swiss rail passes? If so, the ride itself may be for free and you’d only have to pay for the separate seat reservations.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2012 at 22:41:12 #836150

Hi Annika.

Honestly, I am not familiar with the Swiss rail pass and how it works. During this trip, we will be travelling by train as follows:

1. From Innsbruck to Venice
    2. From Venice to Milan to Tirano
    3. From Tirano to St Moritz on the Bernina Express
    4. From St Moritz to Zurich main train station
    5. From Zurich main train station to Lucerne ( return )
    6. From Zurich main train station to Zurich flughafen

Based on the above, do you recommend that we buy Swiss rail pass for the eight of us? Will it save us money and time?

Thanks again.

pia

Annika
    7103 posts
    22 May 2012 at 4:48:00 #836151

Hello Pia. I think you should definitely consider a rail pass, since you’ll be making some long and expensive trips in Switzerland. A 3 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass, using free travel days for the trips Tirano-St. Moritz, St. Moritz-Zurich and Zurich-Lucerne-Zurich would be a good option. But you should look into the 4 day Swiss Pass as well. That’s because you’ll be traveling in October/November, meaning you can profit from the very economical 2 for 1 offer on 4 day Swiss Saver Passes. If you purchase a Swiss SAver (Flexi) Pass, you will only have to pay reservation fees for the Bernina Express.

Does that get you started?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2012 at 22:21:53 #836152

Hi Annika,

That got me really interested.

I will definitely buy the Swiss rail pass for the eight of us.

Thanks for your patience.

regards,

pia

• The thread ‘Need info and assistance’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.