Need major area after Lauterbrunnen?

• Washpark
    Participant
    13 posts
    11 July 2017 at 19:52:42 #812592

First time in Switzerland. Renting a camper in Zurich. First 6 nights/7days will be in Lauterbrunnen for hiking, Eiger, Moench, Jungfrau, Lake Thun, revolving restaurant at Schilthorn. We will take trains/other transportation from campground.

We have 23 days total which includes Austria and Bavaria Neuschwanstein, hiking and Oktoberfest, so probably almost two weeks in Switzerland before we move on to Innsbruck, Garmish and Munich, flying out of Zurich (a couple of days there)

What major regions would be good to center ourselves with day hikes. We don’t shop and are interested in small, alpine towns. There is a nice campground down valley from Zermatt. Would that be a good second stop? How long? 3 days

How about Lucerne for Mt. Titlis and Mt. Pilates and the Chapel Bridge

St Moritz? Matterhorn?

I’m getting a little lost trying to plot things on maps! Thanks for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 9:11:26 #866679

Hi Washpark,

In the end I think you can find nice day hikes in most every area in Switzerland. I think there are some great hikes in the Zermatt area so that would be a good destination after Lauterbrunnen.

Luzern has many mountain attractions nearby and from there you can enjoy a lot of day hikes as well – click here for a list in that area.

Lucas

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    12 July 2017 at 12:55:08 #866680

I see you are hiring your camper in Zurich

If you are planning to take it into Austria or Germany make sure you tell the hire company in advance. Some years ago, we ran into trouble as there can be a problem bringing a Swiss vehicle back into Switzerland. It was something about the vehicle being deemed to be exported if it spent more than so many days abroad. I think for us it was ten days. Fortunately, the hire company at Zurich Airport had a German registered vehicle available for which there was no such problem, and they let us have that.

I don’t know what the current rules are but suggest you check it out. Perhaps someone on this forum knows the answer.

Have a super time in Switzerland. You’ll be back.

Andrew

PS For us, Luzern area after Lauterbrunnen would be good – but it’s all good!

• The thread ‘Need major area after Lauterbrunnen?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.