Need some advice about trip and train pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2016 at 13:02:51 #809529

Good day,

Its my first time out of Asia, and Switzerland will be my first stop.

I have did some research, the Jungfraujoch, Golden Pass Express and Bernina Express is on my list to do. Might also want to do some camping near Lauterbrunnen.

My itinerary looks like this:

• Zurich <–> Schlosslaufen am rheifall
    • Zurich -> Chur
    • Chur -> Tirano -> Lugano (Bernina Express)
    • Lugano -> Fluelen
    • Fluelen -> Luzern
    • Luzern -> Interlaken ost
    • Interlaken Ost -> Lauterbrunnen
    • Lauterbrunnen <–> Schlithorn
    • Lauterbrunnen <–> Jungfraujoch
    • Lauterbrunnen -> Interlaken Ost
    • Interlaken Ost -> Zweisimmen
    • Zweisimmen -> Montreux
    • Montreux -> Geneve (Depart from Switzerland)

Total cost inclusive of train reservation is 711 CHF. This is the total price before any reductions/discounts of Swiss travel pass or half fare card.

Is it efficient to be doing this itinerary base on what i want to do?

I have not decided on the number of days to spend at each places.

Which Swiss travel pass or half fare card would you recommend its suitable?

Things that interesting to me: Jungfraujoch, Golden Pass Express, Bernina Express and camping near Lauterbrunnen.

Not so appealing to me: Glacial Express, 1st class wilhelm express.

Please share some advice with me.

Thank you!

Sam

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    26 June 2016 at 10:36:03 #853445

Hi Sam, thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

Well, your list of plans certainly allows you to enjoy many of Switzerland’s highlights. Whether it’s doable depends on the number of days you intend to spend in each town. If you’re able to allocate about 15 days for the entire trip, then yes, I’d say your route is certainly worthwhile. If on the other hand you’d choose to explore each location for no long than 1 or 2 nights, I’d personally feel it would all be too rushed. But that’s a very personal decision. You’d best check traveling times with the aid of the timetable and decide what’s acceptable to you and your fellow travelers (if any). If you don’t mind long traveling times and switching hotels quite often, that’s just fine of course. Here’s what I’d prefer:

• 2 nights in Zurich
    • 1-2 nights in Lugano
    • 3-4 nights in Lucerne. It’s a beautiful region with lots of options for scenic day trips. You can use the Wilhelm Tell Express route when traveling from Lugano to Lucerne via Flüelen. There’s no need to use the official 1st class package. Regular trains (and, if you like, boats) will provide a similar experience;
    • 3-4 nights in or near Lauterbrunnen. I think you’ve already explored the exensive range of day trip options in this region
    • 2-3 nights in Montreux

Which pass is best depends on your finalized plans. If you roughly follow the advice above, I’d certainly recommend a 15 day Swiss Travel Pass. It’s by far the easiest mode of traveling. All details, including purchase options and validity information, can be found at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass. Here‘s how to find out which pass suits your plans best.

• The thread ‘Need some advice about trip and train pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.