Need some advice on a day ski trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 July 2012 at 12:58:46 #805494

Hi, I am looking to plan a day ski trip while I am in Zurich on 30th Nov, a Friday. Currently looking at Hoch Ybrig as a place to go to.

As a total novice, I have almost no clue on how do I go about doing so. Are there any bookings to be made beforehand, or is it simply a matter of getting myself there and then renting the necessary equipment to ski?

Any advice would be appreciated. Ideally on the below:

1) Best way to travel there (fastest and cost effective way)
    2) What to read up on (slopes to try, gear to bring, maps and what not)
    3) Other possible locations? Chose Hoch Ybrig as it looks like it is popular and near to Zurich, but if there are any other locations within a 100km of Zurich and enough to get to in a day and back I’ll love to check it out too.
    4) Any other preparations to be made before I arrive?

Thank you so much for the help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 August 2012 at 10:48:55 #836798

Hi jaimewolf,

Basically, I would follow these steps:

• Pick a location and a shop that rents out ski equipment. Hoch-Ybrig is indeed an option. The Rigi region is beautiful as well. Arth-Goldau (where the mountain train up the Rigi starts) is just 45 minutes from Zurich.
    • On the day before: check the weather forecast (e.g. Meteo Schweiz) and the ski slope conditions (to be found on the local website, e.g. http://www.hoch-ybrig.ch). Call the shop to be sure there’s enough equipment available.
    • On the day itself: buy a train ticket in Zurich and a day ski pass locally

The timetable shows how to travel. You need a regular train/bus ticket if you pick a ski resort close to Zurich. If you plan to do more traveling than just this ski trip, a rail pass might be economical to you.

I assume you can ski. If not, you obviously need to take a series of lessons first.

Have fun!

• The thread ‘Need some advice on a day ski trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.