Need some Good advice for Iteniary in Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2012 at 0:46:16 #805499

Hi,

I need some suggestions/advice for small 2 day trip trip to Lucerne. I would be staying in Lucerne for three nights and have the following tentative plans :

I would be reaching Lucerne on 9th August at approx 1600 hrs and planning to visit Mt. Titlis in the evening.

The next day start of early morning start early and visit Jungfraujoch and Mt Schilthorn (Is this possible in one day ?? ) Some forum reviews mention covering these two as doable whereas some don’t recommend the same.

The next day for Mt. Pilatus and evening in Lucerne.

Also since I have a Euro Rail Pass, planning to buy the half fare pass which I think would be cheaper.

Let me know your comments and if I need to change it. I am open to hiring a car in Lucerne if needed.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    31 July 2012 at 8:08:44 #836826

Welcome, tarun27! You can easily make all trips by public transportation, so you won’t need a car. I don’t know which Eurail Pass you have, but I don’t think you’ll need an additional Swiss Half Fare Card. The viewing points you want to visit are covered by most Eurail Passes, except for the Schilthorn.

As for your itinerary: visiting Titlis in the evening is not possible, so you can either do that on one of the other days or skip the plan. Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn are doable in one day in terms of traveling times, but I think one out of two will be sufficient. You’ll experience more diversity if you pick one of them and plan a visit to Grindelwald or the Lauterbrunnen/Wengen/Mürren area (maybe combined with a short hike), or a boat trip on one of the lakes during the rest of the day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2012 at 2:01:29 #836827

Hi tarun27…I have just returned from my holiday,which included 8 days visiting the different areas [had 8 day swiss pass] From Lucerne I went to Lauterbrunnen,via Brunig Pass train route.Then took funicular up to Grutschalp.From there, walked [easy] to Murren..such great scenery/weather,walked on via Gimmelwald to Strechelberg[all downhill].Then continued my walking to Lauterbrunnen,but detoured off the route to visit Tummelbach Falls,before reaching Lauterbrunnen for my train back to Lucerne. Got off at Interlaken Ost and did the Lake Brienz cruise from Ost to Brienz..back on train to Lucerne. Another fantastic day was my Voralpen express train[Pre-alpine route] journey…loved the scenery,all the way to Romanshorn[bus doing part due to rail works].Stayed on train and travelled to Stein Am Rhine[lovely Swiss town] From there, took boat along Rhine to Schaffhausen. Walked the path to The Rhine falls…but caught the train back to Schaffhausen.I then caught train to Zurich airport for my flight home later that night…but the train back to Lucerne would be interesting[scenery] and not a too long trip.I had great “summer” weather mid july….no rain, temp mid/high 20c so was able to take full advantage of all the sunshine hours.
    Hope this helps with your planning:-)

• The thread ‘Need some Good advice for Iteniary in Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.