Need suggestions for last day Lauterbrunnen-Zurich

• Balan214
    Participant
    17 posts
    27 April 2017 at 1:33:36 #811573

Hello, I will be Switzerland bound in 20 days!

After reviewing my itinerary I feel my last full day there is up in the air. I will be leaving May 26th early in the AM. I fly out of Zurich and will arrive there and get a hotel the day before from Lauterbrunnen. I plan on leaving the Lauterbrunnen early and head towards Zurich which by train will take roughly 2 1/2 hours. This still leaves much of my day unplanned or will Zurich itself be a good place to explore for the remainder of the day?

My question is are there any notable places I should visit on the way back to Zurich? I will have already stayed in Luzern and that region earlier in the trip as well as Bern, zermatt, jungfrau region, thun, so I can pass on those places. I was thinking maybe detouring to the north from lauterbrunnen or the west to Chur or Altdorf. St.Mortiz would be nice but that is a long trip from lauterbrunnen. Are there any hidden off the beaten path places to stop by before I depart? Thanks for any feedback.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    27 April 2017 at 13:45:53 #862323

Hi Balan214,

Zurich is certainly worth some exploration for the rest of the day. Please find ideas at myswissalps.com/zurich. It would be the easiest option, as you’ll be close to the airport and won’t have to worry about getting there in time. You’ve alread visited some of the sites I would otherwise have advised like the Interlaken region, Bern and Thun. St. Moritz is too far off in my opinion. Alternatively you could make one of these journeys, if you don’t mind leaving Lauterbrunnen early:

• (provided you haven’t done the Gotthard Panorama Express already:) Interlaken > Brig > Andermatt > Göschenen > Gotthard Panorama Express route to Lucerne > Zurich
    • Interlaken > Brig > Glacier Express to Chur > Zurich. You’d be able to spend some time in Chur. Opinions differ on whether that’s worth it, but http://www.churtourismus.ch may be of help here.
    Balan214
    Participant
    17 posts
    28 April 2017 at 22:39:03 #862324

Thanks for the input, ill look into those.

Balan214
    Participant
    17 posts
    29 April 2017 at 1:24:37 #862325

another question about those express rides. If I were to go from lauterbrunnen>interlaken>visp and get on the glacial express at visp, can I just stay on this ride all the way until Chur whereas I would switch to another rail heading towards Zurich or else I may find myself heading south toward St. Moritz. I understand reservations need to be made for these express rides. Are there any other parameters to know since I am only getting on the glacial express for a portion of its route. Thank you.

Arno
    15471 posts
    29 April 2017 at 7:57:17 #862326

Hi Balan214,

That will be a long day but it will certainly work. Yes, you will have to book a seat for the Visp to Chur trip on the Glacier Express. The reservation is all you need extra if you have a Swiss Travel Pass. The pass replaces the tickets for the other trains and the Glacier Express as well.

• The thread ‘Need suggestions for last day Lauterbrunnen-Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.